Holy Archangels Greek Orthodox Monastery (Kendalia, Texas)
|Holy Archangels Greek Orthodox Monastery|
|Approx. size||8 monks|
|Location||Kendalia, Texas, USA|
|Music used||Byzantine Chant|
|Feastdays celebrated||Archangels Michael and Gabriel|
|Official website||Official website|
Holy Archangels Greek Orthodox Monastery is a monastic community for men in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. It is located in Kendalia, Texas, and the spiritual father of the monastery is Elder Ephraim.
The community was founded in 1996 by eight Athonite monks who were called by their spiritual father, Elder Ephraim, former abbot of Philotheou on Mt Athos, to begin a monastery in America. The community is under the omophorion of His Eminence Metropolitan Isaiah of Denver. It remains at it's original size of 8, with Archim. Dositheos as abbot.
The community consists of men living the monastic tradition of a Christ-centered prayer life for the monastic members. Unlike on Mount Athos, both men and women are equally encouraged and welcome to visit as pilgrims. It is not uncommon to see men, women, and children attending Liturgy with the monks.
- n.b. services are conducted in the Chapel of Panayia Glykophylousa, except for Sundays and great feasts, when they are conducted in the main church
- 2:30-6:00am Personal Prayer Rule
- 6:00-8:00am Morning Services
- 8:00-8:30am Breakfast
- 8:30-10:30am Rest - Quiet Hours
- 10:30am-5:00pm Work
- 1:00pm Lunch
- 6:00-9:00pm Evening Services & Meal
- 9:00-2:30am Rest - Quiet Hours