Hilarion of Meglin
Our father among the saints, Hilarion, Bishop of Meglin in Bulgaria was born in the village of Promahi (Edessa, Greece) around 1080-1090 and is commemorated by the Church on October 21 along with another saint of the same name on the same day.
His parents, were of Greek origin, extremally pious yet barren. After years of unceasing prayers and litanies, one night the Virgin Mary appeared to his mother and promised her that she would give birth to a son who would take many people from the depths of deceit and return them to the light of the knowledge of God.
At the age of 18, Hilarion joined a local monastery and was tonsured a monk. He lived in such great asceticism that later on in life, he worked many miracles and his fame spread throughout the area. At some stage, just as the the Virgin Mary appeared to his mother, she also appeared to the Archbishop Αχρίδας Ευστάθιο, and announced to him that the saint would be placed shortly as the leader of the church of the Μογλενών. It was not long after this vision, that the prophecy of the Virgin Mary was fulfilled.
His episcopal seat is famed to be the area where the village is today called Hrisi (Greek: Χρυσή) in Greece. This area was full of Armenian and Βογόμιλους monophysites. Through his teaching and discussions, he managed to convert many of the monophysites back to the church.
He is also famous for establishing a monastery in the area dedicated to the Apostles. The synaxarion does not distinguish if this was for the Holy 12 Apostles or merely the Peter and Paul. This clarification has been found through an archaeological Markianos Code, Code 524, dating to the 13th century. This text is in Greek and exists in the Greek language and has not been translated at present.
This code describes the death of the Saint. Ilarion pre-empted the time of his own death and prepared the brotherhood for his departure. His disciple, of many years, monk Peter, was blessed by Ilarios to take his place as Abbott of the monastery upon his repose. He had a peaceful death and as founder and builder of the monastery was given an honourary burial service and place of honour. It is noted in this code, that his all-holy relics, streamed myrrh from his eyes and he would appear in visions to the monks he would weaken in their monastic duties.
His holy-relics were forcefully translated from the monastery sometime during 1204 by the Bulgarian Tsar Ioannis Asanis to the Church of the 40-saints in his country.
This page has been loosely translated from the following page: www.promahi.gr/moni_agiou_ilariona_GR.html