The Reverend George (Yuri) Maximov is a Moscow-based religious scholar and lecturer, a professor at the Moscow Theological Academy, a member of the Church of Russia's Synodal Working Group on the Elaboration of the Conceptualization of Inter-Religious Relations, a member of the Expert Council of the Russian Federation's Justice Ministry on the Countering of Religious Extremism, a member of the Theological Commission of the Moscow Patriarchate's Interconciliar Presence, the Head of the Sixth Day Missionary Educational Society, and is noted for his expertise in Islamic studies, in addition to his literary and missionary work.
Yuri Valerevich Maximov was born on April 2, 1979. His secondary education was in film studies.
- 2001: Graduated from the Russian Orthodox University of St John the Theologian, after studies in the Biblical-Patristics Faculty.
- 2002: Started lecturing at the Moscow Theological Seminary, teaching a History of Religions course focusing on Islam. Often involved as an advocate/opponent on boards considering Islam-focused thesis papers for the kandidatura (PhD).
- Head of the Sixth Day missionary Educational Society
- 16-26 Dec 2008: Working visit to Thailand, helping development of Orthodoxy there.
- George was very close to Fr. Daniel Sysoev.
- 2009: After Fr. Daniel Sysoev's death, George headed Fr. Daniel's missionary school.
- May 22, 2010: Ordained to the diaconate by Abp. Eugene (Reshetnikov) of Vereya.
- January 6, 2015: Ordained to the priesthood.
Fr. George is currently serving as:
- Member of the Church of Russia's Synodal Working Group on the Elaboration of the Conceptualisation of Inter-Religious Relations
- Member of the Expert Council of the Russian Federation's Justice Ministry on the Countering of Religious Extremism
- Member of the Theological Commission of the Moscow Patriarchate's Interconciliar Presence
- Head of the Sixth Day Missionary Educational Society
- Edited the Russian-language website Orthodoxy and Islam
George has published several works against atheistic concepts of evolution, proposing an Orthodox interpretation, alongside a large number of magazine articles and several books on religious studies. Due to many of his publications dealing with the history of Islam and difficulties in relations with Islam, Fr. George is noted for his outstanding expertise in Islamic studies.
n.b. a partial list
- Святые Православной Церкви, обратившиеся из ислама (Orthodox Saints Who Converted from Islam) (Moscow, 2002)
- Святые Отцы об исламе (The Holy Fathers on Islam) (Moscow, 2003)
- Религия Креста и религия полумесяца (The Religion of the Cross and the Religion of the Crescent) (Moscow, 2004)
- Православное Религиоведение: Ислам, Буддизм, Иудаизм (Orthodox Religious Studies: Islam, Buddhism, Judaism) (Moscow, 2005)
- Православие и ислам (Orthodoxy and Islam) (online, in Russian)