Protopresbyter George Dion Dragas (1944 - ) is a prominent 20th and 21st century Orthodox Christian priest, theologian, and writer. He is currently professor of patristics at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology in Brookline, Massachusetts.
Protopresbyter George Dion Dragas, PhD, DD (Hon.), is Professor of Patrology at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology in Brookline, Massachusetts. He was born in Athens, Greece, where he received his early education and studied science. He studied theology at Edinburgh University (BD) under the reknowned Scots theologian and patrologist, Thomas F. Torrance, with whom he was for many years associated in academic and ecumenical work. He earned his ThM at Princeton Theological Seminary, where he studied briefly under Protopresbyter Georges V. Florovsky. He finished his PhD at Durham University, England; his dissertation, entitled Athanasius contra Apollinarem, was published in 1985 with an introduction by Thomas Torrance. Dragas was ordained to the Holy Priesthood by Archbishop Methodios Fouyas of Thyateira and Great Britain.
Fr. Dragas taught patristics at Durham University, England, from 1974-1995. Since 1995, he has been teaching at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology in Brookline. At present, he is also a Visiting Professor at Université de Sherbrooke in Québec, Canada.
He is a specialist on St. Athanasius and the Alexandrian theologians and is responsible for updating with critical introductions the Athens reprint of Migne's Patrologia Graeca (about 80 volumes published so far). He is also the General Editor of the Patristic and Ecclesiastical Texts and Translations and the Orthodox Theological Library series published by the Orthodox Research Institute. He is a member of the Academie Internationale des Science Religieuses (Brussels). In 2000, the Faculty of Theology of the St. Clement National University of Sofia, Bulgaria, conferred on him the degree of Doctor of Divinity (DD) honoris causa. In 2005, the Department of Pastoral and Social Theology of the Faculty of Theology of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki conferred on him the degree of Doctor of Theology (ThD) honoris causa. In 2007, the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki awarded him the Aristeion award, the university's highest award for academic research and achievement. Fr. Dragas has also been highly active in ecumenical affairs, serving as a theological representative of various Orthodox patriarchates in the international Orthodox/Reformed, Orthodox/Anglican, Orthodox/Lutheran and Orthodox/Oriental Orthodox dialogues. In 1992, he was instrumental in drafting together with T.F. Torrance the Orthodox-Reformed "Agreed Statement on the Holy Trinity."
- An Overview of Orthodox Canon Law - His Eminence Prof. Dr. Metropolitan Panteleimon (Rodolopoulos) of Tyroloe and Serention (2007) (editor) ISBN 978-1933275154
- Christian Philosophy in the Patristic and Byzantine Tradition - B.N. Tatakis (2007) (editor and translator) ISBN 978-1933275161
- Greek Orthodox Patrology: An Introduction to the Study of the Church Fathers - Panagiotes K. Chrestou (2005) (editor and translator) ISBN 978-1933275048
- The Lord's Prayer according to Saint Makarios of Corinth (2005) ISBN 978-1933275017
- Saint Athanasius of Alexandria: Original Research and New Perspectives (2005) ISBN 978-1933275000
- Ecclesiasticus II: Orthodox Icons, Saints, Feasts and Prayer (2005) ISBN 978-0974561806
- Ecclesiasticus I: Introducing Eastern Orthodoxy (2004) ISBN 978-0974561837
- Against Those Unwilling to Confess that the Holy Virgin Is Theotokos - Saint Cyril of Alexandria (2004) (editor and translator) ISBN 978-0974561875
- An Outline of Orthodox Patristic Dogmatics - John S. Romanides (2004) (editor and translator) ISBN 978-0974561844
- On the Priesthood and the Holy Eucharist According to St. Symeon of Thessalonica, Patriarch Kallinikos of Constantinople and St. Mark Eugenikos of Ephesus (2004) ISBN 978-0974561820
- St. Cyril of Alexandria's Teaching on the Priesthood (2004) ISBN 978-0974561813
"Athanasius contra Apollinarem" / with introduction by Thomas F. Torrance. Athens : [s.n.], 1985 (Graphikes Technes G.K. Parisianos).
(General editor), "Aksum―Thyateira. A Festschrift for Archbishop Methodios of Thyateira and Great Britian." London: Thyateira House, 1985.
"The Eternal Son," in T.F. Torrance, editor, "The Incarnation: Ecumenical Studies in the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed A.D. 381," The Handsel Press, 1981 [reprint: Wipf & Stock].