Difference between revisions of "George (Karslidis) of Drama"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
[[Image:GeorgeKarslidis1.jpeg|right|thumbnail|St. George (Karslidis) the New Confessor of Drama]]Saint '''George (Karslidis) the New Confessor of Drama''' (π. Γεώργιος Καρσλίδης ) was born in Argyroupolis in 1901
[[Image:GeorgeKarslidis1.jpeg|right|thumbnail|St. George (Karslidis) the New Confessor of Drama]]Saint '''George (Karslidis) the New Confessor of Drama''' (π. Γεώργιος Καρσλίδης ) was born in Argyroupolisin 1901 of and . . He is known to have been in Georgia, Armenia and Russia before spending most of his life in the village of Sipsa (now identified as ''Taxiarches'') in Drama of Northern Greece. He established a small monastery there and slept in the Lord [[November 4]], 1959. He was [[glorified]] by the [[Church of Constantinople]] on [[November 2]], 2008. The elder was well known for his miracles and prophecies. He is one of five saints to bear the sign of the cross on his skull. The church commemorates his memory [[November 4]]
Revision as of 08:38, November 6, 2008
While still being an infant, he was left orphaned and his grandparents looked after him and his two siblings; a brother and a sister. His brother did not treat him very well and noticing that this was a problem his grandparents gave him to a Turkish family to look after him at an early age. When he was seven years old, his grandmother, being a devout Christian, took him on a pilgrimage to an ancient and famous monastery in the Pontos area; the Panagia Soumela.
- "If you pray without giving alms, your prayer is dead. Your hands should always be open. Give alms to orphans and widows. Alms and prayers go together."
- "Strive to intensify your faith, and during the Divine Liturgy be undistracted and attached to the celebration of the service so that you might be granted to behold the majesties of God."
- "Neither should wealth impress you, nor honor, but always walk justly. Eat your bread with your honorable sweat and not through unjust means. The things you gain honorably, do not squander aimlessly. Live honorably and humbly, and as much as possible extend your hands in charity.... Knock on the doors of the poor, the sick, the orphans. You should prefer the homes of the afflicted to the homes of the joyous. If you do good works, you will have a great reward from God."
- "Love all your fellow men, even your enemies. This is the most basic thing. Always love not only those who love us, but also those who hate us. Let us forgive them and love them all even if they have done us the greatest evil; then we are truly children of God. Then our own sins are also forgiven...Always preach love. This is the most basic law of God: love and love alone."
- Μονάχος Μωϋσής Αγιορείτης «ο μακάριος Γέροντας Γεώργιος Καρσλίδης, 1901 - 1959» (Official and original biography)
- Γ.Κ. Χατζοπούλου «Ο ΠΡΟΦΗΤΗΣ ΚΑΙ ΘΑΥΜΑΤΟΥΡΓΟΣ ΟΣΙΟΣ ΠΑΤΗΡ ΓΕΩΡΓΙΟΣ ΚΑΡΣΛΙΔΗΣ» των εκδόσεων «ΝΑΜΑ».
- Holy Metropolis of Drama Official Article on Elder George and the Monastery in Sipses (in Greek)
- November 3, 2008 - Official Announcement by Church of Greece
- November 1, 2008 - Official homily of His Holiness the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholemew at the Vespers of St. George the New in Drama (in Greek)
- November 2, 2008 - BlogSpot dedication to the Saint