Schaeffer was born in Switzerland in 1952 to American missionary parents. His father, Francis Schaeffer, was a well-known Evangelical theologian. He attended boarding schools in England and Wales. After studying art in Geneva he worked as a painter and had a number of successful shows in Geneva, London, and New York. After, he began to direct and produce films. Schaeffer has made over 25 hours of documentaries including a series on medical ethics made with the then Surgeon General of the United States, Dr. C. Everett Koop entitled Whatever Happened to the Human Race? He has also directed four feature films: Wired to Kill, Headhunter, Rebel Storm, and Baby on Board (for ABC starring Judge Reinhold and Carol Kane).
Schaeffer has lived in the USA, Switzerland, the UK, and South Africa. He and his wife Regina currently live in Salisbury, Massachusetts, and have three children. He works full-time as a writer of both screenplays and novels and also as a movie director and producer. Schaeffer has also collaborated on the musical comedy version of his novel Portofino currently being developed for the stage. Schaeffer is the author of numerous books, both non-fiction and fiction.
It seems the Orthodox Church has not had much affect on Frank Schaeffer's hateful tirades against anyone with whom he disagrees. This could be the result of Frank's delusions of grandeur - or perhaps it is a lack of spiritual discipline within his parish community. I am of course assuming Frank still has faith in (is faithful to) the teachings of the Orthodox Church. But I could be quite wrong about that. Fortunately, in spite of his over bloated writings concerning how important he has been as a former evangelical right winger (now he imagines himself a left wing intellectual), Frank is really a blip on the cultural map. His novels are equivalent to masturbation, in that, it's all about him. He genuinely believes that everyone who does not agree with his view of the world is an ignorant fool. And he wants you to believe it too. Thank God most people aren't listening.
- Baby Jack: A Novel. ISBN 978-0786713912.
- Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back. ISBN 978-0306817502.
- Dancing Alone: The Quest for Orthodox Faith in the Age of False Religion. ISBN 978-1928653097.
- Faith of Our Sons: Voices from the American Homefront -- The Wartime Diary of a Marine's Father. ISBN 0786713224.
- Keeping Faith: A Father-Son Story About Love and the United States Marine Corps. ISBN 0786713089.
- Letters to Father Aristotle: A Journey Through Contemporary American Orthodoxy. ISBN 978-0964914100.
- Portofino: A Novel. ISBN 978-0786713752.
- Saving Grandma: A Novel. ISBN 978-0786713912.
- Voices from the Front: Letters Home from the Soldiers of Gulf War II. ISBN 978-0786716586.
- Zermatt: A Novel. ISBN 978-0786714605.