Diocese of Australia and New Zealand (ROCOR)
|Diocese of Australia and New Zealand (ROCOR)|
|Current bishop||Metr. Hilarion|
|Headquarters||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Territory||Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Indonesia|
|Liturgical language(s)||Slavonic, English, Indonesian, Korean|
|Musical tradition||Russian Chant|
|Official website||Diocese of Aust. & NZ|
The Diocese of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand, headquartered in Sydney, is a diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. Its current primate is His Eminence Hilarion (Kapral), both First Hierarch of ROCOR and Archbishop of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand.
- The first Russian parish established in Australia and New Zealand was St. Nicholas Church (now Cathedral), Brisbane, in 1926.
- The first ROCOR bishop of Australia and New Zealand was Bp Theodore (Rafalsky), 1948-55.
The Diocese of Australia and New Zealand is a diocese within the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. Within the diocese, of which Metropolitan Hilarion is currently the head and sole bishop, there are various deans who are in charge of one or more geographic areas. There are approx. 62 parishes and communities in the diocese, including 17 monasteries and sketes, across Australia, 23 parishes and communities in Indonesia, 5 parishes and communities in New Zealand, and one parish (along with one monastic skete) in South Korea.
The Diocese of Australia and New Zealand of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia was a founding member of SCCOCA, but later departed.
|This article forms part of the series|
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Orthodoxy in New Zealand Timeline
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos|
Antiochian - Metr. Basil
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
GOM NZ - Met Myron
| Episcopal Assembly of Oceania|
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
- Metropolitan Hilarion (Kapral) of New York and Eastern America, Archbishop of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand.
- Archimandrite Daniel (Bambang Dwi Byantoro), head of the Indonesian Orthodox mission (ROCOR) (26 parishes and missions).
- Archpriest Michael Protopopov, Vicar-General of the Diocese, and dean of Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia (10 parishes and missions)
- Archpriest Nikita Chemodakov, dean of New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory (13 parishes and missions)
- Archpriest Michael Klebansky, dean of Queensland (5 parishes and missions)
- Archpriest Vladimir Boikov, dean of New Zealand (4 parishes and missions)
- Priest Adrian Augustus, dean of Pakistan (4 parishes and missions)
- Priest Paul (Kang), head of the Korean Orthodox Mission (1 parish).
Hierarchs in Australia
- Bishop Theodore (Rafalsky) of Sydney, 1948-1955.
- Bishop Philaret (Voznesensky) of Brisbane, 1963-1964.
- Bishop Sava (Rayevsky) of Sydney, 1955-1971.
- Bishop Anthony of Melbourne, 1956-1968
- Bishop Constantine (Essensky) of Brisbane, 1967-1976.
- Archbishop Theodosius (Putilin) of Sydney, 1970-1980.
- Archbishop Paul (Pavlov) of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand, 1980-1995.
- Bishop Gabriel (Chemodakov) of Brisbane, 1996-1997.
- Metropolitan Hilarion (Kapral), Archbishop of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand, 1996-present.