|This article forms part of the series|
Orthodoxy in Australia
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Statistics of Orthodoxy in Australia
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos|
Antiochian - Archim. Basil (Patr. Vicar)
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Siluan
Romanian - Bp Michael
Without local bishop
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
- Nikolai Obuhoff was born to pious parents in Perm, Siberia, in May 1906.
- Fled with his family in 1917 (due to Revolution and civil war) and settled in Manchuria.
- Nikolai worked on the Manchurian branch of Trans-Siberian Railway.
- After the repose of his father, Nikolai moved to Beijing to become a novice in the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission.
- 1932: Completed theological studies, was tonsured and given name 'Dimitry', ordained to diaconate and priesthood by Abp Simon of Peking and China.
- Ministered to the Peking Mission, Our Lady of Kazan Monastery, and St. Alexis parish in Modyago.
- 1956: Arrived in Australia with his mother. Archbishop Sava of Sydney commissions Hmk Dimitry to build a monastery in Kentlyn, on land donated by Pdn. Peter Grishaev. To join him, the Hmk Dimitry recruited three men who wanted to test their monastic vocation.
- Sep 16: First Divine Liturgy celebrated.
- 1959 Mar: Monastery project seems to have failed. Hmk Dimitry was assigned to the Russian Orthodox Church of the Joy of All who Sorrow, Geelong, Victoria, as the second permanent priest (after four years without a priest); one of the other novices returned to the world, another moving and essentially becoming Fr Dimitry's cell-attendant, and the third remaining and being in charge of the diocesan candle-factory. The monastery project would later become St John the Baptist Skete.
- 1962: Transferred to Vladimir Icon parish, Brisbane. Hoped to open a small monastic community in Brisbane with himself and Bp. Philaret, but Bp Philaret's election as Metropolitan of ROCOR prevented this.
- 1970: Left ROCOR.
- 1975: Accepted into OCA.
- Apr 8: Elevated to the rank of hegumen.
- 1976-80: Rector of Holy Annunciation Orthodox Church, Brisbane, while living on Bribie Island.
- 1980: Was forced retire as a result of ill health.
- 1982 Aug: Reposed and buried in Toowong Cemetary, Brisbane.
|Superior of St. John the Baptist Skete
(Kentlyn, New South Wales, Australia)
Monk Guri (Demidov)