Difference between revisions of "Crescens of Myra"
|Line 21:||Line 21:|
Revision as of 20:46, November 4, 2015
The holy, glorious and right-victorious Martyr Crescens of Myra was born into an illustrious family in Myra of Lycia. His feast day is celebrated on April 13 (Slavic tradition) or 15 (Greek tradition).
Of his own accord he confronted the pagans, imploring them to reject their futile idols and worship the One True God who is worshiped by the Christians. St. Crescens was arrested and brought before the authorities where he was questioned about his lineage. To this he replied only that he was a Christian. St. Crescens was offered freedom if he would offer sacrifice to the idols but he valiantly refused. This infuriated the ruler who ordered that he be hung up, beaten, have his flesh torn and finally thrown into a furnace where he gave up his soul for the love of Christ while his earthly body was not harmed by the flames.
- Thy Martyr, O Lord in his courageous contest for Thee,
- received the prize of the crowns of incorruption
- and life from Thee O Immortal God
- For since he possessed Thy strength, he cast down the tyrants
- and wholly destroyed the demons' strengthless presumtion.
- O Christ, God, by his prayers, save our souls
- for Thou art merciful.