Difference between revisions of "Church of John Climacus (Warsaw)"
|Line 9:||Line 9:|
Revision as of 22:07, March 6, 2009
Church of John Climacus is a church located in Warsaw, Wola district, Wolska Street.
The church was built from 1902 to 1905 on demand of archbishop Hieronim (Egzemplarski), who wanted to conmemorate the memory of his son, a painter, died in October 1902 in Pyatigorsk, Russia. Both father and son were then buried in the church's basement.
The church is built from white bricks and mixes the Old Russian style with contemporary Modernism. The architect was inspired by churches in the area of Rostov. The iconostasis was constructed by Aleksandr Murashko and the frescoes by Jerzy Nowosielski, a Polish twentieth century painter.
- K. Sokoł, A. Sosna, Kopuły nad Wisłą. Prawosławne cerkwie w centralnej Polsce w latach 1815-1915, Moskwa, MID "Synergia" 2003, ISBN 5-7368-0301-2