Christos Yannaras (or Chrestos Giannaras) is an important philosopher and theologian of the Orthodox Church of Greece.
Yannaras was born on April 10, 1935, in Athens, Greece. He studied philosophy and theology in Athens, Bonn, and Paris, and holds doctorates from the University of Thessaloniki and the University of Paris (Sorbonne). He is professor emeritus of philosophy at Pantion University of Social and Political Sciences in Athens.
Books in English
- Postmodern Metaphysics Brookline, MA: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2005. (ISBN 1-885652-80-1)
- On the Absence and Unknowability of God: Heidegger and the Areopagite T & T Clark, 2005. (ISBN 0567088065) first published in 1967
- Variations on the Song of Songs Brookline, MA: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2004. (ISBN 1885652828)
- Elements of Faith: An Introduction to Orthodox Theology T & T Clark, 1991. (ISBN 0567291901)
- The Freedom of Morality Crestwood, NY: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1984. (ISBN 0881410284)
- Christos Yannaras in the Saint Pachomius Library
- A review of Elements of Faith given by Reader Nicholas Franck
- "Towards a New Ecumenism" by Christos Yannaras
- "Pietism as an Ecclesiological Heresy" by Christos Yannaras (Chapter 8 of The Freedom of Morality)
- "The Ethos of Liturgical Art" by Christos Yannaras (Chapter 12 of The Freedom of Morality)
- "A Note on Political Theory" by Christos Yannaras (St. Vladimir's Theological Quarterly, 27:1 (1983), pp. 53-56)
- "The Distinction Between Essence and Energies and its Importance for Theology" by Christos Yannaras, Athens, February, 1975. Translated from the Greek by Rev. Peter Chamberas
- Free PDFs of some of Christos Yannaras's writings