Category talk:Church Life
I propose that there are some different useful categories here that can be made explicit:
- Orthodox Life at Church
- Orthodox Life at Home
- Orthodox Life in our Culture
- Orthodox Life in the World
And it would make sense to extend that further to:
- Orthodox Life at School
- Orthodox Life at Work
- Orthodox Life among Friends
or whatever comes to mind.
- Good idea, Rdr. Patrick, but maybe we could start them as articles first? —magda 20:23, 26 Jun 2005 (EDT)
My concern about the Church Life category is that it could logically end up getting used for absolutely everything, which would make it useless as a category. Ideally, every article should be in a category, but some just don't quite seem to fit into the more obvious categories (e.g., Liturgics, Church History, etc.), so the Church Life category was created.
I'm honestly not sure what's being suggested, especially because there aren't already articles already existing to put into the categories (which is what Magda seems to be saying, too). My own philosophy WRT categories is that they should be created to include an actual group of developed articles, probably at least three. A good many of these suggestions listed here could probably start just fine as articles rather than categories. If there then seems to be a plethora of "spin-off" articles, then creating the relevant categories would be in order.
A category for "Home Life" (as opposed to "Church Life") also seems, well, secularist—i.e., at least suggesting that what was going on at one's home was in some sense not "Church." —[[User:ASDamick|—Fr. Andrew talk contribs (THINK!)]] 11:49, 5 Jul 2005 (EDT)
- Point well taken. I think you know that the idea was to address common practices "at the church building" vs. "at the home (e.g. prayer corner)." I still think this can be addressed in some way. Hey! How come Category:Pedantic Seminarians, gets special treatment? :) --[[User:Joe Rodgers|Joe ( talk » inspect » chat )]] 14:09, 5 Jul 2005 (EDT)
- Going back to "Home Life" versus "Church Life." The titles here could be revised to reflect Orthodoxy within a family context and Orthodoxy within a(n Orthodox) community context, not reflecting where you are but with whom.
- Rdr. Andrew, I think your philosophy on categories might be a good rule of thumb to adopt. Is there a way or place we could more overtly publicize that on an appropriate style guide? —magda 19:49, 5 Jul 2005 (EDT)