Beheading of St. John the Forerunner
The Feast day Beheading of St. John the Forerunner is also a strict fast day because of the grief of Christians at the violent death of the saint. It is commemorated by the Church on August 29.
- The memory of the righteous is celebrated with hymns of praise,
- But the Lord¹s testimony is sufficient for you, O Forerunner.
- You were shown in truth to be the most honorable of the prophets,
- For you were deemed worthy to baptize in the streams of the Jordan Him whom they foretold.
- Therefore, having suffered for the truth with joy,
- You proclaimed to those in hell God who appeared in the flesh,
- Who takes away the sin of the world, and grants us great mercy.
Kontakion (Tone 5 )
- The glorious beheading of the Forerunner,
- Became an act of divine dispensation,
- For he preached to those in hell the coming of the Savior.
- Let Herodias lament, for she entreated lawless murder,
- Loving not the law of God, nor eternal life,
- But that which is false and temporal.