Difference between revisions of "Basil of Ancyra"
(add hymn fix date)
|Line 40:||Line 40:|
Revision as of 17:11, October 30, 2008
Hieromartyr Basil of Ancyra, was a priest in Ancyra, Galatia during the fourth century. Very meager information about his life is preserved in a metaphrastic work: “Life and Deeds of the Martyred Priest Basil.” He fought against the pagans and the Arians. Basil defended Bishop Marcellus against the prelate being deposed by the Arians. Twice Marcellus was deposed, and succeeded by Basil.
- Through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit you worthily received the anointing of the priesthood, O Basil.
- You offered your martyr's contest
- As a royal sacrifice to the King of the Ages.
- Righteous Father, entreat Christ God to grant us His great mercy.
Kontakion (Tone 8)
- Having run the race in righteousness,
- You preserved the faith, O Hieromartyr Basil.
- For this you were made worthy of the crown of martyrdom,
- And You have become an unshakable pillar of the Church,
- Confessing the undivided Trinity: the Son, co-eternal with the Father and the Spirit.
- Entreat Him to deliver those who honor you from distress,
- That we may cry to you: Rejoice, O divinely wise Basil!
Kontakion (Tone 3)
- As a priest of the King of Glory,
- you also became a holy warrior by your contest.
- You shamed the counsels of the lawless
- And received the enjoyment of the heavenly Kingdom,
- Blessed hieromartyr of Christ, Basil.
- St. Basil of Ancyra at Catholic Online
- Holy martyr Basil
- The Wikipedia Eastern Orthodox liturgical Calendar for January 1
- GOAA: Holy martyr Basil, Presbyter of the Church of Ancyra
- Hieromartyr Basil of Ancyra - OCA website.