Difference between revisions of "Archdiocese of Johannesburg"

From OrthodoxWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(new article)
 
(14 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The '''Holy Archdiocese of Johannesburg and Pretoria''' is a [[diocese]] in southern Africa under the jurisdiction of the Greek Orthodox [[Church of Alexandria|Patriarchate of Alexandria]] and All Africa. Its territory includes the [[parish]]es and missions located in the areas from East Africa, the equator down to the Cape of Good Hope.
+
The '''Holy Archdiocese of Johannesburg and Pretoria and Southern Africa''' is a [[diocese]] in southern Africa under the jurisdiction of the Greek Orthodox [[Church of Alexandria|Patriarchate of Alexandria]] and All Africa. Its territory includes the [[parish]]es and missions located in the areas from East Africa, the equator down to the Cape of Good Hope.
  
The Archdiocese of Johannesburg and Pretoria was established as a diocese in 1927 by a Patriarchal and Synodal Decree.
+
The see of Johannesburg was established as a diocese on [[December 15]], 1927, by a Patriarchal and Synodal Decree under the name '''Archdiocese of Johannesburg and Southern Africa'''. In the decade of 1960, independence movements formed and clashes started to occur in Southern Africa. In 1968, with the election of [[Paul (Lyngris) of Memphis|Archbishop Paul]], the archdiocese lost its territories in the provinces of the Cape, Natal and Orange, the territory of South West Africa (modern Namibia) and Mozambique, and the countries of Botswana and Rhodesia (modern Zimbabwe) to establish two new archdioceses.
 +
 
 +
Now, the archdiocese occupied only the area of the Transvaal province, and was renamed '''Archdiocese of Johannesburg and All the Transvaal'''. With the ceasing of the province by the government of South Africa in 1994, the archdiocese had to receive its current name. It consists of several Greek-speaking parishes as well as Russian, Serbian and Romanian-speaking parishes, in addition to parishes that use English, Afrikaans, and other local languages.
 +
 
 +
The first [[monastery]] in the archdiocese, [[Monastery of St Nektarius (Leeuwenkloof, Pretoria)|Monastery of Ss Nektarius and Nicholas]] near Johannesburg, was founded in 2005.
  
 
==Ruling Bishops==
 
==Ruling Bishops==
*Ioannis ? — 1997
+
*Isidore (Georgiadis) 1928–1938
*[[Seraphim (Iakovou) of Johannesburg and Pretoria]]   1997 —  Present  
+
*Nicodemus (Zacharoulis) 1939–1966
 +
<small>(lost territory to establish the [[Archdiocese of Zimbabwe and Angola|Archdiocese of Rhodesia]] and the [[Archdiocese of the Cape of Good Hope]])</small>
 +
*[[Paul (Lyngris) of Memphis|Paul (Lyngris)]]  1968–1998
 +
*John (Zachariou)  1998–2000
 +
*[[Seraphim (Kykkotis) of Zimbabwe and Angola|Seraphim (Kykkotis)]]  2001–2010
 +
*[[Damaskinos (Papandreou) of Johannesburg and Pretoria|Damaskinos (Papandreou)]]  2010–Present
  
==Source==
+
==Sources==
 
*[http://www.greekorthodox-alexandria.org/index.php?module=content&cid=004001 Patriarchate of Alexandria Archdiocese website]
 
*[http://www.greekorthodox-alexandria.org/index.php?module=content&cid=004001 Patriarchate of Alexandria Archdiocese website]
 +
*[http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/resources/hierarchs/alexandria/current/bio_paul_lyngris_metr_memphis.htm  ORI: His Eminence Metropolitan Paul of Memphis]
 +
*[http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/298657  New Orthodox Archbishop of Johannesburg and Pretoria  8 October 2010]
  
  
[[Category: Dioceses|Johannesburg]]
+
[[Category:Orthodoxy in Africa|Johannesburg]]
[[Category: Alexandria Patriarchate Dioceses|Johannesburg]]
+
[[Category:Dioceses|Johannesburg]]
 +
[[Category:Alexandria Patriarchate Dioceses|Johannesburg]]

Revision as of 17:43, November 30, 2020

The Holy Archdiocese of Johannesburg and Pretoria and Southern Africa is a diocese in southern Africa under the jurisdiction of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and All Africa. Its territory includes the parishes and missions located in the areas from East Africa, the equator down to the Cape of Good Hope.

The see of Johannesburg was established as a diocese on December 15, 1927, by a Patriarchal and Synodal Decree under the name Archdiocese of Johannesburg and Southern Africa. In the decade of 1960, independence movements formed and clashes started to occur in Southern Africa. In 1968, with the election of Archbishop Paul, the archdiocese lost its territories in the provinces of the Cape, Natal and Orange, the territory of South West Africa (modern Namibia) and Mozambique, and the countries of Botswana and Rhodesia (modern Zimbabwe) to establish two new archdioceses.

Now, the archdiocese occupied only the area of the Transvaal province, and was renamed Archdiocese of Johannesburg and All the Transvaal. With the ceasing of the province by the government of South Africa in 1994, the archdiocese had to receive its current name. It consists of several Greek-speaking parishes as well as Russian, Serbian and Romanian-speaking parishes, in addition to parishes that use English, Afrikaans, and other local languages.

The first monastery in the archdiocese, Monastery of Ss Nektarius and Nicholas near Johannesburg, was founded in 2005.

Ruling Bishops

  • Isidore (Georgiadis) 1928–1938
  • Nicodemus (Zacharoulis) 1939–1966

(lost territory to establish the Archdiocese of Rhodesia and the Archdiocese of the Cape of Good Hope)

Sources