The Apostle Andrew consecrated St Philologus (Romans 16:15) as bishop of the city of Sinope (in the Black Sea region). He is also commemorated on November 5 together with Sts Patrobas, Hermas, Linus, and Gaius.
Troparion (Tone 3)
- Holy apostle Philologus of the Seventy;
- Entreat the merciful;
- To grant our souls forgiveness of transgressions.
Kontakion (Tone 4)
- The Church ever sees you as a shining star, O apostle Philologus,
- Your miracles have manifested great enlightenment.
- Therefore we cry out to Christ:
- "Save those who with faith honor Your apostle, O Most Merciful One."