Difference between revisions of "Antonious (Mobayed)"
m (→Biographical information)
m (various minor cleanups Ⓣ)
|(4 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)|
|Line 27:||Line 27:|
title=Exarch of Australia
title=Exarch of Australia<br>([[Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia New Zealand|Church of Antioch]])|
Latest revision as of 11:22, March 28, 2007
|This article forms part of the series|
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Orthodoxy in New Zealand Timeline
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos|
Antiochian - Metr. Basil
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
GOM NZ - Met Myron
| Episcopal Assembly of Oceania|
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
The Right Reverend Archimandrite Antonious (Mobayed) was the representative of the Church of Antioch to the Church of Russia, and the first priest of St Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Church, Melbourne.
- Graduated from Balamand Theological Seminary
- Graduated from Kiev Theological Academy with a Diploma of Divinity.
- 1914: Archim. Antonious appointed representative of the Church of Antioch to the Church of Russia.
- 1929: The Communist Revolution forced Archimandrite Antonious to return to Lebanon.
- James Batrouney, an Arab residing in Melbourne, visited Lebanon/Syria and met Archim. Antonious. After James Batrouney came back to Melbourne, Archim. Antonious was recommended as a suitable priest for St Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Church, Melbourne.
- 1931 Nov 12: Archim. Antonious arrives in Melbourne on the steamer Orford, having been commissioned by Patriarch Arsanios of Antioch. Both Arabic and Russian members of the community financially contributed to bringing Archim. Antonious to Australia. Archim. Antonious brought with him everything needed for the celebration of the Divine Liturgy; some of these items can be found at St Nicholas Church today.
- Archim. Antonious was well-suited to the local situation, being able to speak fluent Arabic, Russian and Greek.
- First services were held in St. George Anglican Mission. This marks the beginning of a long and amicable relationship between Anglicans and Orthodox in Victoria.
- 1932 Mar: Community purchased a church using four £125 donations from John Batrouney, Joseph & Walter Davis, and Alex Malouly.
- 1932 Palm Sunday: The iconostasis - based on the iconostasis at Holy Resurrection Cathedral, Tokyo - was completed. First service held.
- 1932 May: At the first council meeting, the majority of the community wanted to name the community after St Anthony, many preferred St George; to settle the dispute, Archim. Antonious placed 12 names in a bag on the altar and George Facoory, the oldest member of the community, drew out St Nicholas.
- 1933 Oct 1: Metropolitan Timotheos, head of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Australia and New Zealand, consecrated the church. Consecration chanted in Arabic, English, Greek, Slavonic, and was attended by Rev. F.E. Maynard (Anglican) and the Greek and French consuls.
- 1937: Archim. Antonious resides in New Zealand for several months. He asks local Anglican clergy, who agree, to care for local Orthodox as a temporary measure.
- 1939: Last visit to New Zealand.
- The Russian members of the community helped to convert the church into an Orthodox Church, wrote icons, and organised a Slavonic choir that, along with Archim. Antonious, chanted the Liturgy in Slavonic every fourth Sunday.
- Archim. Antonious, in running a newly-founded church, was able to list many accomplishments: he organised a choir, taught the youth the service in Arabic, established a youth society designed to help the youth acclimatise and keep close to the Church, travelled to Sydney, Adelaide and New Zealand to raise funds so that St Nicholas Church could have all the necessities and trappings for Orthodox services.
- 1943 Nov 9: Archim. Antonious reposes after a short illness. He was buried by Metropolitan Timotheos and assisted by Archimandrite Theophylactos and Fr Michael Shehadie.
- 1950s: When the Russians established their first church in Melbourne in the early 1950s, the committee of St Nicholas donated a Slavonic Bible, both in memory of Archim. Antonious, and as a symbol of the enduring friendship between the Syrian/Lebanese and the Russians.
- A Cradle of Orthodoxy: St Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Church, by Dr Trevor Batrouney, 2001.
|Exarch of Australia
(Church of Antioch)