You may not know this, but by registering an account here and then putting its password on bugmenot.com, you make it available for spammers to have access to the site. We disabled anonymous editing for precisely this reason. —Dcn. Andrew talk random contribs 21:48, 13 Jun 2005 (EDT)
So, no anonymous posting, eh? Totally the goal of my user account. Difference of philosophy, but I understand. Feel free to disable my username then. I guess I will have to 'actually' sign up.
- You can still be anonymous—you don't have to register your real name or even an email address. We'd just prefer that accounts not get shared with the entire Internet.
- We used to allow non-registered editing, but we got hit by multiple spambots which messed up massive portions of the site. Wikipedia has hundreds of thousands of editors to fix such things almost instantly, but here, the active editing is done by probably no more than half a dozen folks. —Dcn. Andrew talk random contribs 21:55, 13 Jun 2005 (EDT)
Well, let's see, now that I've made things complicated. My username is definetely listed at Bugmenot. As a sysop, can you delete my username? What do you suggest. I could just change my password, but honestly I created the username really as a 'dummy name' so I could test out the wiki. By the way, do you use IRC?
- I don't think I can delete accounts, but I can ban them. (I think only FrJohn can delete.) I think the best thing would be to create a new account, and if you like, I'll ban this one so that it can no longer edit.
- As to IRC, I used to be on it—long, long ago, back when Bill Clinton had only been president for a little while. :) —Dcn. Andrew talk random contribs 22:04, 13 Jun 2005 (EDT)
OK, I will create another user name, and you can ban this one. I am not sure what happens when you delete a user, I wonder if the content they created get's deleted? Look for my new user name to be Joe Rodgers
- No, content would be unaffected. As you requested, I'm banning User:BugMeNot. —Dcn. Andrew talk random contribs 22:29, 13 Jun 2005 (EDT)