St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary (Crestwood, New York)
|This article forms part of the series|
Orthodoxy in America
|American Orthodox Timeline |
American Orthodox Bibliography
Byzantines on OCA autocephaly
ROCOR and OCA
|Saints - Bishops - Writers|
|Antiochian - Bulgarian |
OCA - Romanian - Moscow
ROCOR - Serbian
|Christ the Saviour
|St. Tikhon's |
AOI - EOCS - IOCC - OCEC
OCF - OCL - OCMC - OCPM - OCLife
OISM - OTSA - SCOBA - SOCHA
|Amer. Orthodox Catholic Church |
Brotherhood of St. Moses the Black
Evangelical Orthodox Church
Holy Order of MANS/CSB
Society of Clerks Secular of St. Basil
|Edit this box|
St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary (Crestwood, New York) is one of three institutions of professional theological education in the Orthodox Church in America. The other two schools are St. Tikhon's Orthodox Theological Seminary (South Canaan, Pennsylvania) and St. Herman's Orthodox Theological Seminary (Kodiak, Alaska).
St. Vladimir's Seminary currently offers four graduate level degrees. The Master of Divinity (M.Div.) offers training for future Church leaders such as priests, choir directors, and religious educators. The Master of Arts (M.A.) program in general theological studies is intended for those wishing to explore the major academic areas within the theological curriculum without the professional preparation demanded of M.Div. candidates. The Master of Theology (Th.M.) is intended for those desiring to prepare for higher-level studies, teaching, and research. The Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) enhances the practice of ministry for ordained and lay ministers in the Orthodox Church.
History and influence
St Vladimir's Seminary was founded in 1938 in New York City and named for Saint Vladimir, Grand Prince of Kiev. The seminary was granted a provisional charter by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York in 1948 and an absolute charter in 1953.
After occupying rented spaces in New York City, the seminary moved to is current campus in Westchester County in 1961. The seminary received Associate Membership in the American Association of Theological Schools (ATS), becoming fully accredited in 1973. The Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York granted the seminary the power to award the degree of Bachelor of Divinity (later termed “Master of Divinity”) in 1967, the degree of Master of Theology in 1970, the degree of Master of Arts in 1985, and the degree of Doctor of Ministry in 1988.
It has counted among its deans Protopresbyters Georges Florovsky, Alexander Schmemann, John Meyendorff, and Thomas Hopko—nearly a who's who list of twentieth century theology. St. Vladimir's counts as alumni bishops and priests of many jurisdictions, professors of numerous colleges, universities and seminaries, and noteworthy lay leaders in worldwide Orthodoxy. It would be difficult to overestimate the impact of the seminary on Orthodox theology in the last fifty years.
Library and publishing
St. Vladimir's library is one of the largest Eastern Christian resources in North America. The seminary also houses a large publishing house, SVS Press. It publishes a quarterly theological journal, St. Vladimir's Theological Quarterly.
- Bishop Makary (Ilyinsky), 1938–1944
- Archimandrite Dionysius (Diachenko), 1944–1947
- Bishop John (Shahovskoy), 1947–1950
- Protopresbyter Georges Florovsky, 1950–1955
- Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich), 1955–1962
- Protopresbyter Alexander Schmemann, 1962–1983
- Protopresbyter John Meyendorff, 1984–1992
- Protopresbyter Thomas Hopko, 1992–2002
- Archpriest John H. Erickson, 2002-June 2007
- Archpriest John Behr, July 2007–May 2017