no edit summary
[[Image:Kallistos Ware.jpg|right|frame|Metr. Kallistos (Ware) of Diokleia]]
His Excellency, the Most Reverend Metropolitan '''Kallistos (Ware) of Diokleia''' (b. 1934, also known by his lay name, '''Timothy Ware''') is a [[titular bishop|titular metropolitan]] of the [[Church of Constantinople|Ecumenical Patriarchate]] in Great Britain. From 1966-2001, he was Spalding Lecturer of Eastern Orthodox Studies at Oxford University, and has authored numerous books and articles pertaining to the [[Orthodox Christianity|Orthodox Christian faith]].
Metropolitan Kallistos is perhaps best known as the author of the book ''The Orthodox Church'', published when he was a layman in 1963 and subsequently revised several times. More recently, he produced a companion volume, ''The Orthodox Way''.
However his most substantial publications have emerged from his translation work. Together with [[G. E. Palmer]] and [[Philip Sherrard]]), he has undertaken to translate the [[Philokalia]] (four volumes of five published to date); and with Mother Mary he produced English translations of the [[Lenten Triodion]] and [[
The list below contains the complete writings of Metropolitan Kallistos (up until the year 2001), as published in the [[w:Festschrift|Festschrift]] that was written for him,<ref group="note">John Behr, Andrew Louth, Dimitri Conomos (eds.). ''Abba, The Tradition of Orthodoxy in the West: Festschrift for Bishop Kallistos (Ware) of Diokleia.'' Crestwood, NY: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2003. 376 pp. ISBN 0-88141-248-1</ref> celebrating his retirement from active professional responsibilities in 2001.<ref group="note">For 35 years, from 1966 to 2001, he was Spalding Lecturer of Eastern Orthodox Studies at the University of Oxford.</ref> Each section below is listed in chronological order .
* ''The Orthodox Way'' (London & Oxford: Mowbrays/Crestwood, NY: St. Vladimir’s Seminary press, 1979), 195pp. [Translated into various languages.]
* Translated with Mother Mary (of Bussy-en-Othe), ''The Lenten Triodon. Supplementary Texts'', duplicated publication by the Orthodox Monastery of the Veil of the Mother of God, Bussy-en-Othe, 1979 [in fact 1980], 305pp.
* Translated and edited with G. E. H. Palmer and [[Philip Sherrard|P. Sherrard]], ''The [[Philokalia]]. The Complete Text compiled by St. [[Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain|Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain]] and St. [[
Makarios Notaras of Corinth|Makarios of Corinth]]'' (London: Faber & Faber, vol. I, 1979, 378pp.; vol, II, 1981, 414pp.; vol. III, 1984, 379pp.; vol. IV, 1995, 458pp.).
* “Between Heaven and Earth: Some Notes on Contemporary Greek Monasticism,” ''Sobornost'', 4.7 (1962), 398-408.
* “The Transfiguration of the Body,” ''Sobornost'', 4.8 (1963), 420-434. Reprinted (with revisions) in A.M. Allchin (ed.), ''Sacrament and Image'' (London: Fellowship of St. Alban and St. Sergius, 1967), 17-32.
* “Intercommunion: The Decisions of Vatican II and the Orthodox Standpoint.” ''Sobornost'', 5.4 (1967), 258-72.
* “[[Nicolas Zernov]] (1898-1980)” (obituary), ''Sobornost'' (incorporating ''Eastern Churches Review''), new series 3.1 (1981), 11-32.
* “Patriarch Benedict of
Jerusalem” (obituary), ''Sobornost'' (incorporating ''Eastern Churches Review''), new series 3.1 (1981), 102.
* “Mother Mary” (obituary), ''Sobornost'' (incorporating ''Eastern Churches Review''), new series 3.1 (1981), 103.
[[Category:Bishops of Diokleia]]
[[Category:Converts to Orthodox Christianity|Ware]]
[[fr:Kallistos (Ware) de Diokleia]]
[[ro:Kallistos (Ware) de Diokleia]]