In the prayer book=== Prayer of interdiction of St . [[Basil the Great]] that is read by a [[priest]] over one suffering from demons:: O God of gods and Lord of lords, Creator of the fiery ranks, and Fashioner of the fleshless powers, the Artisan of heavenly things and those under the heavens, Whom no man has seen, nor is able to see , Whom all creation fears: Into the dark depths of Hell You hurled the commander who had become proud, and who, because of his disobedient service, was cast down from the height to earth, as well as the [[ angel]] s that fell away with him, all having become evil demons. Grant that this my exorcism being performed in Your awesome name, be terrible to the Master of evil and to all his minions who had fallen with him from the height of brightness. Drive him into banishment, commanding him to depart hence, so that no harm might be worked against Your sealed Image. And, as You have commanded, let those who are sealed receive the strength to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and upon all power of the Enemy. For manifested, hymned, and glorified with fear , by everything that has breath is Your most holy Name : of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever and into ages of ages. Amen.
===In the prayers for entrance into the [[Catechumen]]ate===
===Prayers of St. Basil the Great===
===Holy water. [[Theophany]]===
==Exorcist as a minor order. History and significance==
==List of Saints==
The following is a general list of Orthodox [[Saint|Saints]] whose intercession may be enlisted in prayer for healing, and against unclean spirits and mental disorders (listed in chronological order).
* [[Archangel Michael]]
* [[Anthony the Great]]
* [[Marina of Antioch]]
Gerasimus of Kefalonia]]
* [[Nectarios of Aegina]]
* [[Luke (Voino-Yasenetsky) of Simferopol and Crimea]]
* Richard P H Greenfield. ''Traditions of Belief in Late Byzantine Demonology''. Published by [http://www.tte.nl/hakkert/ Adolf M. Hakkert], Amsterdam, 1988. (369 pp.) (ISBN 9025609627) (ISBN 9789025609627)
: (Comprehensive scholarly study; Greek text in several places; includes list of sources of the standard Orthodox tradition. Compares the standard Orthodox tradition to alternative traditions).
* Jean-Claude Larchet. ''[http://www.allbookstores.com/book/9781597310611/Rama_P_Coomaraswamy/Troubled_Waters.html Mental Disorders and Spiritual Healing: Teachings from the Early Christian East]''. 1st Ed. Transl. by G. John Champoux and Rama P. Coomaraswamy. Published by Sophia Perennis, July 2005. (ISBN
1597310611) (ISBN 9781597310611)
sadena. com/ sss/ Roman%20Rite%20of%20Exorcism. html The Roman Rite of Exorcism - 1952 A. D.] : (Full text of rite included; from the [[w:Roman Ritual| Rituale Romanum]]) .
* Fr. Gabriele Amorth. ''[http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0898707102 An Exorcist Tells His Story]''. ISBN 0898707102
: (Fr. Amorth is an official exorcist of the diocese of Rome. His commentary and experience is certainly worth engaging).
* Fr. Gabriele Amorth. ''[http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0898709172 An Exorcist: More Stories]''. ISBN 0898709172
* Fr. Jose Antonio Fortea. ''[http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1932645969/sr/ref=pd_cp_b_title/002-0955529-1470425?ie=UTF8&qid=1175243507&sr=8-13&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=12APFJ7881PVW8VNC5KC&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=252362401&pf_rd_i=0898709172 Interview With an Exorcist: An Insider's Look at the Devil, Demonic Possession, and the Path to Deliverance]''.
*The ''[http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc/index.htm Catechism of the Catholic Church]'' (s. [http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c4a1.htm 1673]) has this to say about exorcism:
: When the Church asks publicly and authoritatively in the name of Jesus Christ that a person or object be protected against the power of the Evil One and withdrawn from his dominion, it is called exorcism. Jesus performed exorcisms and from him the Church has received the power and office of exorcizing. [Cf. Mk 1:25-26; 3:15; 6:7, 13; 16:17.] In a simple form, exorcism is performed at the celebration of Baptism. The solemn exorcism, called "a major exorcism," can be performed only by a priest and with the permission of the bishop. The priest must proceed with prudence, strictly observing the rules established by the Church. Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church. Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science. Therefore, before an exorcism is performed, it is important to ascertain that one is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness.
===Protestant & Other===
* Gerald Brittle. ''[http://www.amazon.com/Demonologist-Extraordinary-Career-Lorraine-Warren/dp/0595246184/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0955529-1470425?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175243620&sr=1-1 The Demonologist: The Extraordinary Career of Ed and Lorraine Warren]''.
: (Please read with caution. Note that the subjects ([[w:Ed and Lorraine Warren|Ed and Lorraine Warren]]) are in the tradition of 'paranormal investigators').
Professor Charles Stewart. '' Demons and the Devil: Moral Imagination in Modern Greek Culture'' . Princeton University Press (Modern Greek Studies), NJ, 1991. : (See chapters on Exorcism and Baptism).
* Stefano Ferracuti, Roberto Sacco, and Renato Lazzari. "[http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3082925 ''Dissociative Trance Disorder: Clinical and Rorschach Findings in Ten Persons Reporting Demon Possession and Treated by Exorcism.'']" In '''Journal of Personality Assessment''', 1996, Vol 66, No. 3, pp.525-539.
In '''Lik Sprava'''. January 2002, Issue 7, pp.32-36 . '''[in Ukrainian]'''.
:(''Eastern Orthodoxy; Emotions; Humans; Mental Disorders; Mental Healing; Psychometrics; Religion and Psychology; Ukraine'')
== External links ==
[w:Exorcism |Exorcism ]] at Wikipedia.
* BBC News Online: World. [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/263604.stm Vatican issues new exorcism rules]. January 27, 1999.
===Roman Catholic Cases===
* [http://www.catholicism.org/exorcism-nicola-aubrey.html The Exorcism of Nicola Aubrey], (1565-1566), written by Fr Michael Müller.
* [[w:Anneliese Michel|Anneliese Michel]] (+1976) at Wikipedia.