→Pahor and Pope Shenouda III
The Copts are the descendents of the ancient Egyptians, and they constitute between 10-15% of the Egyptian population. It is an official policy of the authorities in Egypt not to announce the number and percentage of the Copts after the army
officer' s coup of 1952.
The vast majority of the Copts belongs to the [[Church of Alexandria (Coptic)|Coptic Orthodox Church]], a member of the Eastern (Oriental) Orthodox Churches that also includes the Syrian, Armenian and the Ethiopian churches. They acknowledge the first three [[ecumenical councils]], namely those of [[First Ecumenical Council|Nicea]] (325 AD), [[Second Ecumenical Council|Constantinople]] (381 AD), and [[Third Ecumenical Council|Ephesus]] (431 AD), but not that of [[Fourth Ecumenical Council|Chalcedon]] (451 AD).
==Pahor, Pope of Rome and Patriarch of Alexandria==
Whilst studying in Germany, Pahor used to travel via Italy to visit his home land Egypt. In one of these visits, he had a personal audience with Pope Pius XII who gave him a massage to the Patriarch of Alexandria, Youanis IXX.
[[Image: PL_w_Pat_Yousab.jpg|thumb|[[Patriarch Yousab II]] at the opening of the New Wing of the Coptic Museum in 1947. Pahor Labib stands to the right of the bust of Morcos
==Pahor and Patriarch Yousab II==
Pahor's father, Cladius Labib, was the Coptic language teacher of Patriarch Youab II when the latter studying in the Theology School. Pahor used to visit the Patriarch and both used to engage in a conversation in Coptic. Cladius Labib was moved from his resting place to a new burial site for the Coptic Orthodox and the Patriarch paid for the construction of the new family tomb.
==Pahor and Pope Cyril VI==
==Mari Mina site==
St [[Menas|Mina]] is a Coptic saint
that was martyred in the fourth century. A great Cathedral was erected at his burial site in Maryout at the western desert of Egypt west to Alexandria. Many faithful from all round the Mediterranian used to visit the site and a flourishing community was in that area for centuries till the Arab invasion of Egypt when the Arabs destroyed the church. A German archeologist, Kuffman, carried our excavations in the site at the beginning of the 20th century, starting in 1905. Pahor resumed these excavations in 1951. Pope Cyril founded a monastery near the site and this monastery is now one of the main surviving monasteries in Egypt.
A great Cathedral named after St Mary was constructed in Tel Atrib near the city of Benha in the Delta, Lower Egypt. There are many records of the magnificence of this Cathedral such as that the capitals of the marble pillars were covered with gold. This Cathedral was destroyed by the Arabs
at their invasion of Egypt. Pope Cyril VI and also Pope Shenouda II were keen for the area to be excavated. Excavations went on for years with the help of a Polish excavation group from the University of Warsaw. Locals encouraged by officials took over the area and covered the site that is used now for agriculture .
==Director of the Coptic Museum==
Dr Labib managed to turn the Coptic Museum into a Mecca for Coptic studies. A great momentum that helped in this direction was the formation of an international committee of the most renowned Coptologists in the world to translate and study the Nag Hammadi Coptic Gnostic Papyri. This library is considered one of the two major discoveries in the 20th century that contributed to Biblical studies, the other being the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Pahor and Pope Shenouda III== Dr Labib used to teach at the Archeology institute and Pope Shenouda, before being ordained, attended Pahor’s lecture for one year. Pope Shenouda appointed Pahor on the committee that was investigating the relics of St John the Baptist in St Makarious Monastery in Nytria.