→Under Turkish yoke: Changed 19th century conditions sentence to be more relevant to the subject: Decani Monastery.
Later in the eighteenth century, the monastery buildings and the walls around them were restored. The Dečani monastery monks and their benefactors continued rebuilding the monastery into the early nineteenth century. Simeon Lazovic and his son, Aleksije, artists from Bijelo Polje, painted [[icon]]s on the iconostasis in the [[chapel]]s of St. Demetrius and St. Nicholas. With the consolidation of the Serbian State after the First and Second Serbian Uprisings, the Serbian rulers also began supporting the monastery. In 1836, Prince Miloš Obrenović commissioned the building of new residental quarters, and in 1857, Prince Aleksandar Karađorđević presented to the monastery a reliquary for the relics of St. Stefan Decanski. He also paid for the new roof on the church. The monks themselves managed to restore some old buildings as well as build new ones within the monastery. During this time Dečani monks travelled as far as St. Petersburg and Moscow and returned with rich gifts from the [[Church of Russia|Russian Church]] and the Russian emperors.
The end of the nineteenth century was a difficult period for the Serbian Orthodox people
and the Church survived under difficult circumstances. Ottoman rule was very weak, and local Muslim Albanians committed many crimes against the Christian population, especially terrorizing Serbian monasteries.