During the year 1678, Kazan experienced another epidemic, this one called the “trembling illness” by the people. As the suffering from the epidemic continued on for almost a year, Metropolitan Adrian, who would become Patriarch of All Russia, remembered the suffering of the nine martyrs in Kyzicus and believed that abundance of grace from these saints would dispel the sufferings of the people of Kazan from the feverish and trembling illness. He proposed building a [[church]] at the meeting place of the miracle-working icon in honor of the Nine [[Martyr]]s of Kyzicus. Construction began in 1687 of a wooden church that was completed in June 1688, on the day of the commemoration of the meeting of the icon. Soon after sick people among the population recovered and the epidemic came to an end.
With the end of the sickness, the church on the hill became the object of mass [[pilgrimage]]s and donations. This enthusiasm was recognized by Metr. Adrian of the Kazan Diocese, who approved establishment of a monastery around the church in 1691. After the election of Metr. Adrian to the [[see]] of the [[Patriarch of Moscow]], he continued to support the monastery of the Kyzicus martyrs. In July 1693, he sent to the monastery particles of the [[relics]] of the nine martyrs. These relics had been brought as a gift for Tsar Milhail Feodorovich by Metr. Anempodist of Kyzica in 1645. Patr. Adrian also recommended to Metr. Markell of Kazan the joining of the icon of the nine martyrs with the icon of the icon of the Mother of God (of the Seven Lakes) in the annual summer procession. Patr. Adrian also sent to the monastery the miracle-working icon of the Mother of God of Kyzicus.
With the coming of the Bolshevik government, the monastery was closed in 1918 and the [[monasticism|monastic]] community dispersed. The monastery fell in disrepair and many of the monastery buildings were destroyed. The remainder of the monastery was turned over to the Red Army. These buildings were later used for military administrative uses, including registration and enlistment offices, storehouses, and garages.