← Older edit
Newer edit →
1,391 bytes added
12:37, June 10, 2008
WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS
The Holy '''[[Prophet]] Daniel''' is commemorated by the Church on the [[December 17]].
== Daniel as Prophet ==
Christ refers to Daniel as a prophet in [[Gospel of Mark|Mark]] 13:14 and in [[Gospel of Matthew|Matthew]] 24:15.
== The name "DANIEL" ==
The name Daniel is Hebrew and means "God is my Judge" or "God is judging."
== Historical ==
<!--- St Epiphanios comments about David's background (to be expanded). --->
* ''ca.'' 604 BC to 536 BC - the seventy years of the Babylonian exile of the Jews.
* 559 BC - Cyrus the Persian's reign begins.
* 556 BC
# [Daniel 10:1-3] - Daniel (or Baltasar) commences a three week Passover fast (see Deut. 16:5-6) held in the first month and in Jerusalem.
# [Daniel 10:4-7] - Daniel has a vision on the 24th day of that month.
;;According to St Basil and St Hippolytos, this was of the prefiguration of the Incarnation of Christ. According to St Ephraim the Syrian and St Chrysostom, Daniel beheld a vision of an angel.
* 539 BC - Darius Mede begins his reign over the Chaldean kingdom (Babbylon had been taken by the Medes and Persians under Cyrus in the year 539-538).
* 539 BC to 536 BC
# [Daniel 9:1-3] - Daniel prays for the people in supplications, fasts and dons sackcloth.
* 536 BC - Babylonian exile of Jews is completed.
* 530 BC ''(ca.529 BC)'' - Cyrus the Persian dies in August.
== Prophetic content (Summary) ==
* The Vision of the Four Beasts [Dan 7]
* The Son of Man, the Ancient of Days [Dan 7]
Retrieved from "
Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki.