← Older edit
Newer edit →
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Zealand
3,719 bytes added
16:33, March 12, 2009
no edit summary
name=Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Zealand|
jurisdiction=[[Church of Constantinople|Constantinople]]|
bishop=Met. [[Amphilochios (Tsoukos) of New Zealand|Amphilochios]]|
hq=Wellington, New Zealand|
calendar=[[Revised Julian Calendar|Revised Julian]]|
population=9,588 (2001 Census, all Orthodox included)|
website=[http://www.imnz.org.nz Greek Metropolis]
The '''Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Zealand''', headquartered in Wellington, is an [[eparchy]] of the [[Church of Constantinople]]. Its current primate is His Eminence [[Metropolitan]] [[Amphilochios (Tsoukos) of New Zealand]].
== History ==
: ''For more detailed history before 1970, See [[Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand]]''.
Before 1908 New Zealand, along with the rest of the Greek 'diaspora,' was under the omophorion of the [[Church of Jerusalem]]; but, in 1908, jurisdiction over New Zealand was transferred to the newly-recognised [[Church of Greece]]. In 1924, the parishes of Australia and New Zealand - by now Greek in character as well as in name - were formed into a metropolis under the [[Church of Constantinople]]. In 1959, the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Australia and New Zealand was elevated to Archdiocese, and Metropolitan [[Ezekiel (Tsoukalas) of Pisidia|Ezekiel]] elevated to Archbishop with it. In 1970, due to the growing size and needs of the Archdiocese, Australia and New Zealand were split into the [[Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia]] under Archbishop Ezekiel, and the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Zealand under the newly-elevated Metropolitan [[Dionysios (Psiahas) of Proussa|Dionysios]].
In 2003, Dionysios was promoted to the Metropolis of Proussa, promoting [[Joseph (Harkiolakis) of New Zealand|Joseph]] to be the second metropolitan of New Zealand. In 2004, the decision was made to separate the exarchate of Korea from New Zealand and to make it a metropolis of its own, leaving Metropolitan Joseph the sole hierarch in the Metropolis of New Zealand. In August 2005, Metropolitan Joseph resigned from his see, and has left New Zealand to reside in Greece. In October 2005, [[Amphilochios (Tsoukos) of New Zealand|Amphilochios]] was promoted to Metropolitan of New Zealand.
== Organisation ==
The Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Zealand is a single metropolis with seven churches. The central church, the Archdiocesan Church of St Andrew the First-called, Miramar, is the headquarters of the Metropolis.
== The Episcopacy ==
* Metropolitan [[Amphilochios (Tsoukos) of New Zealand|Amphilochios]] of New Zealand, Oct 2005-present.
=== Previous Bishops of the Metropolis ===
* [[Dionysios (Psiahas) of Proussa|Dionysios (Psiahas)]], Metropolitan of New Zealand, 1970-2003; Exarch of India, Korea and Japan, 1970-1996; Exarch of Korea and Japan, 1996-2003.
* [[Sotirios (Trambas) of Korea|Sotirios (Trambas)]] of Zela (auxiliary bishop in [[Orthodox Metropolis of Korea|Korea]]), 1993-2004.
* Metropolitan [[Joseph (Harkiolakis) of New Zealand|Joseph (Harkiolakis)]] of New Zealand, 2003-2005.
== See also ==
* [[List of parishes in the North Island (NZ)]]
* [[List of parishes in the South Island (NZ)]]
== External links ==
* [http://www.imnz.org.nz Official Website of the Metropolis]
* [http://www.patriarchate.org/ Official Website of the Orthodox Patriarchate of Constantinople]
[[Category:Orthodoxy in New Zealand]]
[[Category:Ecumenical Patriarchate Dioceses|New Zealand]]
[[fr:Métropole orthodoxe grecque de Nouvelle-Zélande]]
Retrieved from "
Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki.