Jump to: navigation, search

Monastery of St. John the Theologian (Patmos, Greece)

7,319 bytes added, 02:21, December 17, 2012
WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMSThe '''Holy Monastery of St. John the Theologian''' (Local Name: Áyios Ioánnis Theológos - the ''Monastery of St. John the Divine''), is a fortress style monastery with a [[monasticism|monastic]] community for [[monk|men]] on [[Patmos]], founded in 1088 AD by St. [[Christodoulos Latrinos of Patmos|Christodoulos the Blessed]] (also known as ''the Latrinos''), who had been granted the whole island of Patmos with a golden bull by the Emperor of [[Byzantium]] Alexis I Komninos. The [[monastery]] is under the jurisdiction of the [[Church of Constantinople|Ecumenical Patriarchate]]; and is a [[Patriarchal Exarchate of Patmos|Patriarchal exarchate]] with a Patriarchal exarch (i.e., its [[abbot]] has special benefits). == Monastery Structure ==The Monastery has ten [[chapel]]s, four of which are located in its main courtyard. In the Katholicon of the monastery, there is a temple of unique art, created in 1829, by 12 sculptors.<!---===The Chapel of the Holy Apostles===This is a small byzantine chapel that is just outside the main gate of the monastery. ===The main entrance===This 17th century '''Main entrance''' gateway has slits for pouring oil over [[w:marauders|marauders]]. It leads into the cobbled main courtyard. ===The Main courtyard===;Icon of St. John (12th-century):This is the most revered [[icon]] in the monastery and is housed within the katholikon. It has a Bronze frame which represents in the upper part the Holy Trinity holding the Universe and in the Lower part scenes from the Book of Revelation. In the left corner of the icon Christ in His Glory is distinguishable while St. John is shown as collapsed at His feet. ;The Katholikon''' ;The Chapel of the Panagia;; The "Hospitality of Abraham" fresco:: This is one of the most important 12th-century frescoes found in this chapel. It has been painted over however it was discovered after an earthquake in 1956. ;The Chapel of Christodoulos:In this chapel, the sacred [[relics]] and tomb of the Blessed Christodoulos are kept and there is also a silver reliquary of the Blessed Christodoulos. ;The Chapel of the Holy Cross:This is one of the ten chapels built out of necessity because church law forbids that the liturgy be celebrated more than once a day in the same chapel. ;The monks refrectory:The refrectory has two marble tables taken from the ''Temple of Artemis'', which originally occupied the site. ;The Treasury:The '''Treasury''' of the monastery houses over 200 icons, 300 pieces of silverware and a dazzling collection of jewels. This impressive array of religious art and treasure mainly consists of icons of the Cretan school. Among the more respected exhibits there is an unusual mosaic icon of St. Nicholas and the Chrysobull.:The library contains 15,000 books, over 1,000 manuscripts, including fragments of the famous Codex Purpureus. Nearly 1500 years old, the Codex Purpureus is one of the oldest illustrated manuscripts in the world. Its outer appearance exhibits sheer royalty, and the purple colored parchment made the manuscript famous. Only 386 pages out of the original 800, remain. The current version includes a complete Gospel of St. Matthew and a nearly complete Gospel of St. Mark. Of great interest is the portrait of St. Mark. ;;The "Weeping icon of the Holy Mandylion (Napkin)" (face of Christ)  :: This icon of the face of Christ, is from the late 18th-century. A woman from the island was abandoned by her husband leaving her to raise two children alone. She told the children that she needed to sell the icon of the Holy Mandylion in order to buy some food. The children were very fond of the icon and wept deeply and begged her not to sell it. As they were asking there mother to keep the icon, the face of Christ began to weep also. The mother realised the significance of the miracle and took the icon to the [[church]]. Her husband was notified of the miracle returned back to Patmos, repented and took care of the family.  ;;Chrysobull ::This scroll/parchment of 1088 is the foundation deed, sealed in gold by the Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Comnenos granting the island to Blessed Christodoulos. ::The icon is now in the Treasury but was originally placed in the "Holy of Holies" for a time.--->== Saints and Monastics == <!---:''nb. only those with articles are listed''.*St. [[John the Theologian]], author of New Testament canons and the [[Book of Revelation]].*St. [[Chrysostom the Latrinos]], founder of the '''Monastery of St. John the Theologian'''*Monk [[Parthenios Pankosta]], founder of the [[Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi]].*Elder [[Amphilochios (Makris)]] of Patmos.*Metropolitan [[Kallistos (Ware) of Diokleia]]---> == Image Gallery ==<gallery>Image:PatmosEntIc.JPG|<small>Monastery of St. John the Theologian - 1738 entrance with icon of St. John the Theologian and St. Chrysostom, founder of the monastery, both holding the monastery in their hands.</small>Image:PatmosPr.JPG|<small>Monastery of St. John the Theologian - Monk praying with prayer rope</small>Image:PatmosCY.JPG|<small>Monastery of St. John the Theologian - Courtyard outside the Museum and church</small>Image:PatmosBell.JPG|<small>Monastery of St. John the Theologian - Byzantine Bell at the top of monastery</small></gallery> == World Heritage Classification, UNESCO ==*Date of Inscription - 1999*Reference No. 942*Criteria: (iii), (iv) and (vi)**''(iii)'' - The town of Chorá on the island of Pátmos is one of the few settlements in Greece that have evolved uninterruptedly since the 12th century. There are few other places in the world where religious ceremonies that date back to the early Christian times are still being practised unchanged. <ref> United Nations - Copyright © 1992-2008 UNESCO World Heritage Centre </ref>**''(iv)'' - The Monastery of Hagios Ioannis Theologos (Saint John the Theologian) and the Cave of the Apocalypse on the island of Pátmos, together with the associated medieval settlement of Chorá, constitute an exceptional example of a traditional Greek Orthodox pilgrimage centre of outstanding architectural interest. <ref> United Nations - Copyright © 1992-2008 UNESCO World Heritage Centre </ref>**''(vi)'' - The Monastery of Hagios Ioannis Theologos and the Cave of the Apocalypse commemorate the site where St John the Theologian (Divine), the “Beloved Disciple”, composed two of the most sacred Christian works, his Gospel and the Apocalypse. <ref> United Nations - Copyright © 1992-2008 UNESCO World Heritage Centre </ref> <ref> Note on Criterion (iv) - A delegate of Thailand raised the question of eligibility of criterion (vi). He thought that the criterion should be applied. This recommendation was also endorsed by ICOMOS and the Committee. Delegates and observers commended the high values of the site and decided to keep the criterion.</ref>*Documentations**1999, [ "Advisory Body Evaluation"]**1999, [ "Nomination File"] (9.886 MB file)**1999, [ Decision "Report of the 23rd Session of the Committee"] ==External Link==*[ Monastery website (in Greek only)] == References ==<references/> [[Category:Monasteries]][[Category:Greek Monasteries]][[Category:Orthodox UNESCO World Heritage Sites]]

Navigation menu