The '''Holy Monastery of St. John the Theologian''' (Local Name: Áyios Ioánnis Theológos - the ''Monastery of St. John the Divine''), is a fortress style monastery with a monastic community for [[monk|men]] on Patmos, founded in 1088 AD by St. [[Christodoulos the Blessed]], who had been granted the whole island of Patmos with a golden bull by the Emperor of Byzantium Alexis I Komninos. The monastery is under the jurisdiction of the [[Church of Constantinople|Ecumenical Patriarchate]]; and is a
'''Patriarchal exarchate ''' with a Patriarchal exarch ( ie. its abbot has special benefits).
== Monastery Structure ==
The Monastery has ten
chapels, four of which are located in its main courtyard. In the Katholic of the monastery, there is a temple of unique art, created in 1829, by 12 sculptors.
;The Chapel of the Panagia
;; The "Hospitality of Abraham" fresco
:: This is one of the most important 12th-century frescoes found in this chapel. It has been painted over however it was discovered after an earthquake in 1956.
;The Chapel of Christodoulos
:In this chapel, the sacred relics and tomb of the Blessed Christodoulos are kept and there is also a silver reliquary of the Blessed Christodoulos.
;The Chapel of the Holy Cross
:This is one of the ten chapels built out of
necessaty because church law forbids that mass be celebrated more than once a day in the same chapel.
;The monks refrectory
;;The "Weeping icon of the Holy Mandylion (Napkin)" (face of Christ)
:: This icon of the face of Christ, is from the late 18th-century. A woman from the island was abandoned by her husband leaving her to raise two children alone. She told the children that she needed to sell the icon of the Holy Mandylion in order to buy some food. The children were very fond of the icon and wept deeply and begged her not to sell it. As they were asking there mother to keep the icon, the face of Christ began to weep also. The mother realised the significance of the miracle and took the icon to the church. Her husband was notified of the miracle returned back to Patmos, repented and took care of the family.
::The icon is now in the Treasury but was originally placed in the "Holy of Holies" for a time.
:''nb. only those with articles are listed''.
*St. [[John the Theologian]], author of New Testament canons and the [[Book of Revelation]].
*Elder [[Amphilochios (Makris)]] of Patmos.
*Metropolitan [[Kallistos (Ware) of Diokleia]]
== World Heritage Classification, UNESCO ==
**1999, [http://whc.unesco.org/p_dynamic/sites/passfile.cfm?filename=942&filetype=pdf&category=nominations/ "Nomination File"] (9.886 MB file)
**1999, [http://whc.unesco.org/archive/repcom99.htm#942/ Decision "Report of the 23rd Session of the Committee"]
== References ==