name= Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem|
founder= The [[Apostles]]|
independence= Traditional |
692 by [[ Quinisext Council]] |
primate=[[Theophilus III (Giannopoulos) of Jerusalem|Patr. Theophilus]]|
website=[http://www.jerusalem-patriarchate.info/ Church of Jerusalem]
The '''Church of Jerusalem''' is the
mother church of all of Christendom, because it was in Jerusalem that the Church was established on the day of [[Pentecost]] with the descent of the [[Holy Spirit]] on the disciples of [[Jesus Christ]]. From Jerusalem the gospel of Christ was spread to the world.
As Christianity spread, and the persecutions of the Jews by Roman authorities in their homeland increased, causing the dispersion of many of the Christians from Jerusalem, the import of this church and its impact on the ongoing life of the whole Church diminished. As other churches gained ascendency, namely the Churches of [[Church of Rome|Rome]], [[Church of Constantinople|Constantinople]], [[Church of Alexandria|Alexandria]], and [[Church of Antioch|Antioch]], the Church of Jerusalem was accorded a place of honor with them among the five original Christian [[patriarchate]]s of the Christian world, called the ''[[Pentarchy]]''.
Lately there has been criticism of the church leadership by Palestinian faithful, who accuse the Greek-speaking and largely Greek-born leadership of squandering their money and treating their Arabic-speaking members as second-class faithful.
recent deposition of Patriarch [[Irenaios I (Skopelitis) of Jerusalem|Irenaios I]] amidst scandals regarding the transfer of land to Jewish control, the Holy Synod of the church named as their [[locum tenens|temporary primate]] His Eminence Metropolitan [[Cornelius (Rodousakis) of Petra]]. On [[August 22]], 2005, the Holy Synod unanimously elected the former Archbishop of Tabor, [[Theophilus III (Giannopoulos) of Jerusalem|Theophilus]], as the 141st Patriarch of Jerusalem .
==Holy places of worship==
<small> Only those places that have an OrthodoxWiki article will be listed </small>
*The [[Church of the Holy Sepulchre (Jerusalem)]]
*The [[St. Catherine's Monastery (Sinai)|Holy Monastery of St. Catherine]] (
#The Lavra of St.
Savvas the Hegiasmenos .#The Monastery of St. George the Hozevitou (location) .
#The Monastery of St. Martha and Mary (Bethany)
#The Monastery of The Holy Archangels (Andromedos)
#The Monastery of St. [[Eythymios]] the Great (Khan-Ahmar)
a total of 25 monasteries within the city of Jerusalem:#The Holy Monastery of Abraam, a dependency of the Holy Sepulchre .#The Holy Monastery of St. [[Haralampus]]
#The Holy Monastery of the Forerunner
#The Holy Monastery of the Archangels
#The Holy Monastery of the Holy Cross
#The Holy Monastery of St. Onouphrious
#The Holy Monastery of St. Sion,
this is also the Patriarch Theological college .#The Holy Monastery of St. Stephanos#The Holy Monastery of St. Panteleimonos#The Holy Monastery of the Ressurection
#The Holy Monastery of St. Modestos
#The Holy Monastery of the Great Panagia (female)
#The Holy Monastery of Panagia "Seidanagias"
There are two churches in Jerusalem, the Church of St. Demetrios and the Church of St.
Theklas. There is also the cathedric Church of St. Iakovos the "Adelfotheou" which also has two chapels dedicated to the Myrofores and the Holy 40 Martyrs of Jerusalem. The chapel of the Holy 40 martyrs holds the relics of all the Patriarchs of Jerusalem.
*[[New Church of St. Mary, the Theotokos (Jerusalem)]]
*[http://www.jerusalem-patriarchate.info/ Official Website of the Church of Jerusalem] (Main page)
:- [http://www.saintgeorgetaybeh.org/ Greek Orthodox Church of St. George], Taybeh (Palestine) ===Metochia of the the Holy Sepulcher in America=== #[http://theholysepulcher.org/ Monastery of the Holy Cross] (Long Island, New York) #[http://monastery.org/ Monastery of the Glorious Ascension] (Resaca, Georgia) #[http://jerusalemusa.org/direcotry.htm/ Link to directory of the Jerusalem Orthodox Communities in America] ----
*[http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/features/ Interviews with Christians in the Holy Land] ([[Ancient Faith Radio]])
ecc-bodypg.aspx? eccpageID=16& IndexView= toc Eastern Christian Churches: The Patriarchate of Jerusalem] by Ronald Roberson, a Roman Catholic priest and scholar
*[http://www.geocities.com/rev_alexander2000/ Rum Orthodox Ivri: The Website of the Eastern Orthodox Christian Community within Israeli Society], served by Fr. Alexander Winogradsky, a priest of Jewish ethnicity serving mainly in Hebrew
*[http://www.monastery.org/ Epitropia of the Holy Sepulchre in America]
*[http://www.yvelia.com/greekcommunity/ The Greek Orthodox Community of Jerusalem / Greek Colony, Jerusalem, Israel]
===Jaffa Gate Deal and Recognition Issues 2004-2007===
* Moran, Dominic. [http://www.isn.ethz.ch/news/sw/details.cfm?ID=11310 The Battle for Jerusalem]. '''ISN Security Watch'''. 18 May, 2005.
* Morenatti, Emilio. [http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,901050606-1066874,00.html An Unorthodox Deal?]. '''TIME''', 29 May, 2005.
* Rapoport, Meron. [http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/820990.html Burnt Offerings]. '''Haaretz.com''', 9 February, 2007.
* The Associated Press. [http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/14/europe/EU-REL-Greece-Jordan-Patriarch.php Embattled Jerusalem Patriarch says he is still supported by Jordan's King.] '''International Herald Tribune'''. 14 May, 2007.
* [http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/71899.html Solution looming in Jerusalem Orthodox Church row]. '''Earthtimes.org''', 12 June, 2007.
* [http://www.hri.org/news/greek/ana/2007/07-06-14.ana.html#06 Jordan reverses decision over Jerusalem Patriarch]. '''Athens News Agency'''. 14 June, 2007.
* Lefkovits, Etgar. [http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull&cid=1183053087602 Greece's Government urges Israelis to recognize Greek Orthodox Patriarch]. '''The Jerusalem Post'''. 2 July, 2007.
* Mackenzie, Nick. [http://www.religiousintelligence.co.uk/news/?NewsID=878 Athens appeals to Israelis over Patriarch]. '''Religious Intelligence''', 3 July, 2007.
* Theros, Patrick Nickolas (US Ambassador). [http://www.orthodoxnews.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=EditorialsOpinion.one&content_id=16261&CFID=70157138&CFTOKEN=45352409 Jerusalem and Greece: Dora’s Staunch Defense of Religious Freedom Gives Church in Holy Land Respite].'''The National Herald''', 20 July, 2007.
* Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs. [http://www.mfa.gr/www.mfa.gr/Articles/en-US/20122007_KL1214.htm Briefing of Greek government regarding the Israeli Cabinet’s recognition of the Greek Orthodox Patriarch].16 December, 2007.
* European Jewish Press. [http://www.ejpress.org/article/22658 Israel takes two years to recognise Greek Patriarch]. 18 December, 2007.
* Israel National News. [http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/124634 Pro-PLO Greek Orthodox Church Leader Ousted]. 19 December, 2007.
[[es:Iglesia Ortodoxa de Jerusalén]]
[[ro:Biserica Ortodoxă a Ierusalimului]]