Jump to: navigation, search

Panagia Chryssopodaritissa

78 bytes added, 22:51, February 17, 2008
no edit summary
The monastery of Panagia Chrysopodaritissa was built , in the 12th century on , into a cave near the village of Chryssopigi in the valley of the Peiros river, . This monastery belongs to the Municipality of ''FarronFares''in the Province of Patra, Prefecture of Achaia, West Greece and lies opposite the village of Kalanistra and Kalano. It is surrounded by century old trees and gardens and is a prominent landmark. According to legend, the name was given when a man with a sick leg was healed by the Mother of God, the protectress of this monastery. In gratitude, he offered a golden cover to cover the leg of the Virgin Mary of this icon. The monastery used to be called the monastery of Nezeron because it is also located close to the old village of Nezera. The monastery was destroyed during the Orlov Rising (1770, together with the village of Nezera which has been abandoned since then). It was rebuilt in 1812 by a monk called Ananias (from Kombigadi of the Municipality of Farron).
During the Greek revolution in 1820s, Germanos, metropolitan of Patra and a rebels' leader, lived in the monastery for some time. In 1825, the monastery was destroyed again by Ibrahim and the Aegyptians who helped the Turks to subdue the rebels. The Abbot of the monastery at that time was Nikiforos Nezeritis, a revolutionary of 1821 and member of the Philiki Etairia. The monastery was rebuilt after the end of the revolution.

Navigation menu