name=Holy Monastery of Gregoriou |
founded=14th Century by St. Gregory the Younger|
feasts=[[December 6|Nicholas of Myra]]|
The '''Gregoriou Monastery''' is situated on the southwest side of the Athos Peninsula in northern Greece, between the monasteries of Dionysiou and Simonopetra. Gregoriou originally was dedicated to the [[Nicholas of Myra|St. Nicholas]] but later was renamed in honor of its founder, Gregory. It is ranked seventeenth in the hierarchical order of the twenty monasteries located on the [[Mount Athos]] peninsula. Gregoriou is reputed to be one of the most well-organized and strict coenobitic monasteries on the Mount Athos peninsula.
As noted above much of the older treasures of the monastery were lost in the fires of 1761 and the warfare of 1821. Those treasures that the monastery now holds are kept in the katholikon. These treasures include [[icon]]s of the Virgin Galatotrophousa and Virgin Pantanassa, [[relics]] of [[saint]]s (the relics of St, Gregory were believed taken by some Serbian monks), and various [[liturgical objects]].
The monastery library holds 297 manuscripts, many other documents, and some 4,000 books. These include the only existing manuscript copy of the
‘’Shepherd of Hermas’’ a work that dates back to the first century.
*[http://www.hri.org/MPA/other/Agio_Oros/monasteries/grigoriou.html Gregoriou Monastery]
*[http://inathos.gr/athos/en/ Mount Athos]