Changes

Jump to: navigation, search

Michael Shehadie

545 bytes added, 12:30, May 30, 2006
no edit summary
{{orthodoxyinaustralia}}
Very Reverend Father '''Michael Shehadie''' was the parish priest of St Saint George [[Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, New Zealand, and All Oceania|Antiochian]] Orthodox Church , Redfern, NSW, Australia, from 1934-1951.
Michael Shehadie was born in Lebanon in 1895, the second child of Fr [[Nicholas Shehadie|Nicholas]] and [[Khourieh]] Alexandra Shehadie. Growing up there, he studied at Our Lady of BalamandTheological School, (in what is now Lebanon), and then in at the Saint Petersburg Theological Academy, Russia; however, his . His wife Hannah (nee Khoury) did not want Michael to be [[ordination|ordained]] at that time. , so Michael chose to become became a chemist/herbalist.
He arrived joined his father in Sydney, Australia, in 1925 with his wife Hannah and his their two daughters Alexandra (Alice) (m. Mounir Doumani) , and Paulette (m. Daniel Joseph). In Australia, Michael and Hannah then had another two more children, Nicholas (later Sir Nicholas) (m. Marie Bashir, currently Governor of NSW), and George (m. Carmel Wigan), and Margaret (m. Morris Hanna).
After the repose of his father in 1934, however, he accepted ordination to the [[priest]]hood and became parish priest of the Church of Saint George Redfern. After his ordination, the family then had one further more child, Margaret (m. Morris Hanna).
At the end of World War II the Egyptian government offerd offered Fr Michael the position of Honorary Consul in to Australia. Due to jealousy within the church community , and his devotion to the church, he declinedhad to decline. The Egyptian government would not accept anyone else, so the position remained unfilled.
In 1949 while Fr Michael was parish priest, the NSW government decided to resume the land the church was built on to erect Department of Housing flats. Fr Michael ensured the NSW Minister, Clive Evatt, found a suitable site close by for the to build a replacement church. Land was granted at the corner of Walker and Cooper Streets, Redfern, where the church—now cathedral—stands today.
It was a difficult time for Fr Michael Shehadie worked on , as his father's church was demolished, and they had to hold their services in the Sydney City Mission Hall in Redfern Street. Following his continual pushing, land was granted at the corner of Walker and Cooper Streets Redfern, for the building of a replacement church.  He had such a traumatic time with a section of the community that his health was badly affected. He suffered a fatal heart attack in 1951 at the age of 56. He had secured the new land for a replacement church, and the plans were drafted, but only lived Fr Michael did not live to see it approved, not built. In 1951 he reposed suddenlythem realised. The new  Following his demise, the plans were put into effect and 'his' church was completed opened in 1953. Today this church is the Archdiocesan Cathedral.
{{start box}}
837
edits

Navigation menu