The State Government leased a block of land to the Church on the corner of Walker and Redfern Streets Redfern. The first Antiochian Orthodox church was built there and placed under the patronage of Saint George.
In 1934, Exarch Nicholas Shehadie, suffering from chronic asthma, reposed in his early 70s. Then his second son, [[Michael Shehadie|Michael]], became a priest. During the time of his presbyterate at the Church of Saint George, the government lease expired. Fr Michael worked with the government to find a new site and, in 1950, they were granted land at the corner of Walker and Cooper Sts, Redfern, where the church - now cathedral - stands today. However, Fr Michael never saw it built. In 1951, aged 56, he reposed.
In 1953, V. Rev. [[Malatius Hussney (Sydney)|Malatius Hussney]] took over the rectorship of St George. During his time as rector, the foundation stone was laid, with the first services being done 1954. He was succeeded by Archim. Anthony Woolf, who was rector 1957-61.
In 1964, Fr Nicolas Mansour
took up duties at the church. Soon after his arrival, the church was consecrated by Bp Dionysios (GOA), and in 1967 the church hall and presbytery were completed. However, the spread of Antiochian faithful all over New South Wales was too much for one parish priest. On request of Fr Nicolas, the Church of Antioch sent Archimandrite Gibran to Australia to find out how to solve the problem ; on Archim. Gibran's recommendations, the Holy Synod elevated the Exarchate of Australia and New Zealand was elevated to a diocese , and Archim. Gibran to Bishop and Patriarchal Vicar of this diocese.