Jump to: navigation, search

Holy Trinity Monastery (Jordanville, New York)

6,034 bytes added, 12:17, February 6, 2013
Building of the monastery
{{monastery|name=Holy Trinity Monastery|jurisdiction=[[Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia|ROCOR]]|type=Male Monastery|founded=1930|superior= [[Luke (Murianka)]]‎|size=55 monastics|hq=Jordanville, New York|language=Slavonic|music=[[Russian Chant]]|calendar=[[Julian Calendar|Julian]]|feasts=[[Pentecost|Holy Trinity Sunday]]|website=[ Official Website]}}'''Holy Trinity Monastery''' is a male [[monastic]] community under in the auspices [[jurisdiction]] of the [[Synod]] of Bishops of the [[Russian Orthodox Church Abroad]], located in Jordanville, New York. Another part of the [[monastery]] is [[Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary (Jordanville, New York)|Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary]]. {{stuborthodoxyinamerica}}==BackgroundHistory==It was established in 1928 by Fr===Foundation===In 1921, after his [[ordination]] to the priesthood on [[April 10]], Hmk. Panteleimonbegan to reflect on the difficulty of living the [[monasticism|monastic]] life, and began yearning for monastic silence. He met Ivan Andreevich Kolos, who wanted to become a Russian [[monk]] . Together, they decided to earn enough money to buy a plot of land - Hmk. Panteleimon beginning work at Sikorsky Airplane Factory, while Ivan continued working at his [[parish]], where he was the head chanter. While land for a [[monastery]] is purchased in Jordanville, New York, in 1928, Hmk. Panteleimon continued to work until the land was paid off. At this time Fr. Jacob from [[St. Tikhon's Orthodox Monastery (South Canaan, Pennsylvania)|St.Tikhon’s Orthodox Tikhon's Monastery]] joined what became Holy Trinity Monastery. In the Spring 1930, having paid off the land, Hmk. Panteleimon quit his job and moved to Jordanville. Holy Trinity Monastery was formally established in Pennsylvania1930, with the blessing of Abp. Apollinary of North America. The brethren were Monk Jacob, Dcn. Ivan (Morozov), Philipp Pisarik, and Monk Philaret; later two choir directors joined them: Peter Ivanovich Kozlov (later Hmk [[Paul (Kozlov)]]) and Ivan Andreevich Kolos (later Archim. [[Joseph (Kolos)]]). Also part  ===Building of the monastery ===In 1934, Hmk. [[Ilya (Gavriliuk)]], a carpenter, joined the monastery, and assisted in preparing the materials for, and then actually building a house-[[church]] and a 16 [[cell]] monastic residence. In the same year, Bp. [[Vitaly (Maximenko) of Jersey City |Vitaly (Maximenko)]] of Detroit was offered the abbacy, but declined. In the Spring of 1935, a church is set up in the small monastic house, and dedicated to the Life-Giving Trinity. On the day after [[Pentecost]] of that year, the [[consecration of a church|consecration]] of the [[church]] and the monastery was held, led by Bp. Vitaly (Maximenko). However, tragedy struck. At the end of the [[Divine Liturgy|Liturgy]], smoke was seen at the second floor of the monastic house and, within a few hours, everything had burnt to the ground. Regardless, on the next day, Ivan Kolos was [[tonsure]]d a monk and given the name Joseph. Accepting their fate, the brethren of the monastery lived under the open sky and, relying on the help of God, undertook to rebuild the monastery. In Autumn, the brotherhood bought a two-story house, which was larger, more comfortable, and of better quality than the original. By the mid-1940s, Holy Trinity Monastery was able to repay the mortgage for the house, finish a barn for 80 cattle, expand the dairy, gain another 200 acres of land, acquire all their needed farming equipment, and buy a linotype machine with a large, 16-station printing press, including Church Slavonic type, for the monastery press. Their labors completed allowed them, in 1946, the freedom to begin building a grand, golden-cupola'd stone [[cathedral]]. A key benefactor of the building of the cathedral, Professor Nikolai Nikolaevich Alexandrov, later joined the brotherhood. [[Pochaev Lavra of the Dormition of the Theotokos|Pochaev Lavra]], that had moved from Pochaev to Germany via Serbia, split in 1946. Some of the monks stayed in Germany, to form the [[Monastery of St. Job of Pochaev (Munich)|Monastery of St. Job of Pochaev]], while 14 of the monks moved, via Switzerland, to Holy Trinity Monastery. [[Hegumen]] Panteleimon resigned as [[abbot]], and [[Bishop]] [[Seraphim (Ivanov) of Chicago|Seraphim]], former abbot of Pochaev Lavra, replaces him as abbot of Holy Trinity Monastery. Bishop Seraphim resumed publication of periodical Orthodox Russia (Pravoslavnaya Rus), and named Hmk. [[Constantine (Zaitsev)]] editor. ===ROCOR in the USA===Bishop Seraphim's abbacy did not last long. In 1948, Abp. Vitaly Maximenko began his abbacy at Holy Trinity Monastery, while Bp Seraphim prepared in the United States the headquarters for ROCOR that was moving from Germany. Having persuading Prince Belosselsky to donate land in Mahopac for the headquarters, Bp. Seraphim dedicated the land as the Kursk-Root Hermitage and gathered a small monastic brotherhood there. In the meantime, great progress was made at Holy Trinity Monastery. The Church of St. Job of Pochaev, located beneath the cathedral of the monastery, was consecrated, and Holy Trinity [[Seminary]] was founded for monastic and [[priest]]ly aspirants. Abp. Vitaly, in addition to his duties as abbot, was also named [[rector]] of the Seminary . The celebration of the consecration was done on [[November 13|November 13/26]], and at the same time, Hegumen Panteleimon was elevated to [[Archimandrite]]. Abp. Vitaly could not, however, do everything, and in 1952 Archim. [[Averky (Jordanville, New YorkTaushev)of Syracuse|Averky (Taushev)]] was named rector of Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary. In the following year, he was [[consecration of a bishop|consecrated]] to the episcopacy at Holy Trinity Monastery. On [[April 2]], 1960, Abp. Vitaly reposed, ending his twelve-years as abbot of Holy Trinity Monastery. Forty days later, on [[May 12]], Bp. Averky was named abbot of Holy Trinity Monastery. ===Averky's abbacy===In 1974, Holy Trinity Monastery had the honor of hosting the [[All-Diaspora Councils|Third All-Diaspora Council]]. Two years later, in April, Abp. Averky reposes and was succeeded by Abp. [[Laurus (Skurla) of New York|Laurus]]. ==List of abbots==*Archimandrite [[Panteleimon (Nizhnik)]], 1930-1946.*Archbishop [[Seraphim (Ivanov) of Chicago]], 1946-1948.*Archbishop [[Vitaly (Maximenko) of Jersey City]], 1948-1960.*Archbishop [[Averky (Taushev) of Syracuse]], 1960-1976.*Metropolitan [[Laurus (Skurla) of New York]], 1976-2008.*Archimandrite [[Luke (Murianka)]], 2008-Present.
==External links==
*''The History of Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville'', Part [ 1] [ 2] [ 3] on the ROCOR website.
<!-- *[ Holy Trinity Monastery] --->*[ Holy Trinity Monastery] (March 5, 2005, archive)*[ mapMap]*[ Video from Sunday of the Exaltation of the Cross]
[[Category:ROCOR Monasteries]]

Navigation menu