Newer edit →
3,400 bytes added
05:26, November 30, 2005
New - Category feeds!
==Feeds produced by OrthodoxWiki==
There are many different feeds produced by OrthodoxWiki. At this point, some are autodetected by most browsers (not Internet Explorer 6 though), while others can be seen in the sidebar.
===Standard feeds include:===
* Recent Changes: [http://www.orthodoxwiki.org/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&feed=rss RSS] and [http://www.orthodoxwiki.org/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&feed=atom Atom]
* New pages: [http://www.orthodoxwiki.org/index.php?title=Special:Newpages&feed=rss RSS] and [http://www.orthodoxwiki.org/index.php?title=Special:Newpages&feed=atom Atom]
* Many other [[Special:Specialpages|Special pages]] also have newsfeeds available (e.g. "popular pages", "users", "wanted pages", etc.). These will appear in the sidebar. They're a great way to keep up with what's happening on this site.
In addition to these, we've hacked OrthodoxWiki to be able to display a list recent updates in a particular Category. If you're using a "modern" browser, these will appear in the address bar when you click on the "RSS" button. If you're using Internet Explorer 6 or earlier, you'll have to manage these manually by adding either "&feed=rss" or "&feed=atom" to the end of a Category:Page URL. (I'm happy to say that RSS autodetection is being implemented in IE 7.)
==Using feeds from other sites==
OrthodoxWiki now has the ability to render newsfeeds from external sites, courtesy of the [http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Mafs/RSS RSS-Feed extension] and [http://magpierss.sourceforge.net/ Magpie].
This extension can parse most popular kinds of RSS / RDF and Atom feeds.
The simplest usage is: <nowiki><rss>http://examplesite.com/rss.xml</rss></nowiki>
Optional parameters can be also be added in between the <nowiki><rss> and </rss></nowiki> tags. They should be separated by a pipe (|), just like in links and templates.
Supported parameters include:
* charset=... The charset used by the feed. iconv is used to convert this.
* short Do not show the description text for each news item.
* max=x Shows x most recent headlines.
* highlight= term1 term2 The terms separated by a space are highlighted.
* filter= term1 term2 Show only rss items containing at least one of the terms.
* reverse display the rss items in reverse order
A fuller example therefore might be:
===Guidelines for Use===
External RSS feeds should be used sparingly. Appropriate content includes:
* News from Orthodox sources or tailored for an Orthodox audience.
* Parish news, and local Orthodox events notice boards.
Please do not use this extension for blogfeeds -- check out [http://www.orthodoxblogs.com OrthodoxBlogs.com] for this purpose. Feeds deemed inappropriate by the [[Special:Listusers/sysop|sysops]] will be removed.
All pages with external feeds should be added to <nowiki>[[Category:Newsfeeds]]</nowiki>.
External feeds are licensed by their distributors, and not subject in any way to the OrthodoxWiki copyright.
Articles are placed in this category when they use feeds from other sites.
* [[Category:Newsfeeds]] - a list of all pages about newsfeeds and all pages incorporating external newsfeeds on OrthodoxWiki
, interwiki, oversight, renameuser,
Retrieved from "
Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki.