no edit summary
The '''Holy Archdiocese of Johannesburg and Pretoria and Southern Africa''' is a [[diocese]] in southern Africa under the jurisdiction of the Greek Orthodox [[Church of Alexandria|Patriarchate of Alexandria]] and All Africa. Its territory includes the [[parish]]es and missions located in the areas from East Africa, the equator down to the Cape of Good Hope.
The see of Johannesburg was established as a diocese on [[December 15]], 1927, by a Patriarchal and Synodal Decree under the name '''Archdiocese of Johannesburg and Southern Africa'''. In the decade of 1960, independence movements formed and clashes started to occur in Southern Africa. In 1968,
two years after the repose of Archbishop Nicodemus, the archdiocese lost its territories in the provinces of the Cape, Natal and Orange, the territory of South West Africa (modern Namibia) and Mozambique, and the countries of Botswana and Rhodesia (modern Zimbabwe) to establish two new archdioceses.
Now, the archdiocese occupied only the area of the Transvaal province, and was renamed '''Archdiocese of Johannesburg and All the Transvaal'''. With the ceasing of the province by the government of South Africa in 1994, the archdiocese had to receive its current name. It consists of several Greek-speaking parishes as well as Russian, Serbian and Romanian-speaking parishes, in addition to parishes that use English, Afrikaans, and other local languages.