The traditional name for this icon has always been the "Portaitissa" but in more recent times the Icon has come to be known as the "Iveron" Mother of God, in connection with the name of the monastery, by the American and Russian communities.
In 1648, news of this wonder-working Icon reached Russia through pilgrims who had visited Mt. Athos. The [[List of primates of Russia|Patriarch]] [[Nikon of Moscow|Nikon of Moscow]], while he was still [[Archimandrite]] of [[Novospassky Monastery]], commissioned an exact copy of the Iviron icon to be made and sent to Russia. Almost immediately upon its arrival on [[October 13]], the icon was glorified with numerous miracles attributed to it by the faithful. The [[Iverskaya Chapel]] was built in 1669 to enshrine the icon next to the Kremlin walls in Moscow. The chapel was the main entrance to Red Square and traditionally everyone, from the Tsar down to the lowest peasant would stop there to venerate the icon before entering the square. After the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917, the chapel was destroyed by the Bolsheviks and the icon was moved to the Resurrection Cathedral at Sokol'niki where many of the icons and relics from the closed and destroyed churches were placed. In 1995, the Iverskaya Chapel was rebuilt and new copy of the icon was made for it at Mt. Athos.
Another newer version of the famous Portaitissa is the [[Myrrh]]-streaming icon from Montreal in Canada. For fifteen years, between 1982 and 1997, myrrh continually flowed from this Icon. Brother [[José Muñoz-Cortes]] <ref> [http://www.yalchicago.org/Portaitissa_Miracle_Icon.html Brother Jose Muñoz Cortez], Guardian of the Hawaiian Myrrh-Streaming Icon of the Mother of God, was murdered in Athens by a young Romanian man who had asked Br. Jose for assistance in obtaining permission to travel to Canada.</ref> devoted himself to the care and protection of this icon, and accompanied it on numerous trips to parishes all over the United States and Canada, South America, Australia, and Europe.