John R. Martin, the future Bishop John, was born on [[January 5]], 1931 to John and Veronica Mihach Martin in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He attended the schools in Munhall, Pennsylvania before attending St. Fidelis Seminary and College in Herman, Pennsylvania. He continued his education at Ss. Cyril and Methodius Byzantine Catholic Seminary in Pittsburgh. Following assignments to a number of [[parish]]es, he continued graduate studies in philosophy at Stanford University in California. On [[May 29]], 1955, John was [[ordination|ordained]] to the Holy Priesthood in the Byzantine Catholic Metropolia of Pittsburgh.
After being received into the [[Orthodox Church]] in 1966. Fr. John was elected to the episcopacy on [[August 15]], 1966, and appointed [[auxiliary bishop]] to [[Orestes (Chornock) of Agathonikeia|Metr. Orestes]], with the title of [[titular bishop]] of Nyssa, by the [[Holy Synod]] of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. His [[consecration of a bishop|consecration]] was on [[October 6]], 1966, at Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. The consecrating bishops were led by Abp. [[Iakovos (Coucouzis) of America|Iakovas]], of the [[
GOARCH|Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America]], along with Metr. Orestes and Bishop Theodosios.
Upon the death of Metr. Orestes on [[February 17]], 1977, Bp. John was named the ruling [[bishop]] by the [[Holy Synod]] of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Notable among his activities was the establishment of [[Camp Nazareth]] in Mercer, Pennsylvania and of a program for training [[deacon]]s.