== Overview ==
Founded in 1938 as a pastoral school by resolution of the 6th All-American Sobor of the [[Orthodox Church in America|Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America (North American Metropolia)]], St. Tikhon's has historically grown on the fertile soil of the Orthodox faith, supported by the deep faith and love of several generations of Orthodox people, nourished by its Russian Orthodox roots, and reaching into the deep-flowing waters of a 2000-year spiritual and cultural tradition. Officially transformed from a pastoral school into a seminary by the [[Holy Synod]] of the Metropolia in 1942, St. Tikhon's has visibly progressed along the educational path determined by its founders.
In 1967, the seminary was chartered by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. A formal transfer agreement with Marywood College (now Marywood University) in nearby Scranton was articulated and signed in 1975. In 1988, the seminary was authorized by the Pennsylvania Department of Education to award the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree to its graduates. The first M.Div. degrees were conferred on the graduating class of 1989.