Xenophontos Monastery (Athos)

From OrthodoxWiki
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Category links)
(dead links)
 
(12 intermediate revisions by 7 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The '''Xenophontos Monastery''' is one of the twenty monasteries located on the peninsula of [[Mount Athos]] in northeastern Greece. The [[monastery]] is on southwestern side of the peninsula near [[St. Panteleimon's Monastery (Athos)|St. Panteleimon's Monastery]]. Xenophontos ranks sixteenth in the hierarchical order on Mount Athos. The feast day of the monastery is [[April 23]].
+
[[Image:Xenophontos Monastery.jpg|thumb|300px|right|Xenophontos Monastery]]
 +
{{Athonitemonastery|
 +
name=Holy Monastery of Xenophontos|
 +
rank=Sixteenth|
 +
type=[[Cenobitic]] Monastery|
 +
founded=998|
 +
superior=Archim. Alexios|
 +
size=30-35 monks|
 +
location=Southwest (near St. Panteleimon's)|
 +
language=Greek|
 +
music=[[Byzantine chant]]|
 +
feasts=[[April 23|St. George]]|
 +
}}
 +
The '''Xenophontos Monastery''' (Greek Ξενοφώντος) is one of the twenty [[monastery|monasteries]] located on the peninsula of [[Mount Athos]] in northeastern Greece. The monastery is on southwestern side of the peninsula near [[St. Panteleimon's Monastery (Athos)|St. Panteleimon's Monastery]]. Xenophontos ranks sixteenth in the hierarchical order on Mount Athos. The monastery is dedicated to St. George the Trophybearer, celebrating the monastery [[feast day]] on [[April 23]].
  
First mention of the founding of a monastery was in 998, while the monk Xenophon is credited with building the monastery that bears his name in 1010. After the fall on Constantinople Xenophontos began a period of hard times as the monastery was alternatively destroyed by pirates and rebuilt. Each time rulers from eastern Europe would fund rebuilding efforts. Such attacks continued until the eighteenth century.  
+
First mention of the founding of a monastery was in 998, while the [[monk]] Xenophon is credited with building the monastery that bears his name in 1010. After the [[fall of Constantinople]], Xenophontos began a period of hard times as the monastery was alternatively destroyed by pirates and rebuilt. Each time rulers from eastern Europe would fund rebuilding efforts. Such attacks continued until the eighteenth century.  
  
 
In the sixteenth century a [[katholikon]] was built near the entrance to the monastery in the southern part of the monastery precinct and dedicated to St. George the Trophybearer. This [[church]] featured frescos painted by Antonius of the Cretan school. In the eighteenth century the monastery began to prosper again and a new katholikon was built. It was also restored between 1817 and 1837. This church remains the largest katholikon on the Holy Mount. This building was located in the northern part of the monastery precinct.
 
In the sixteenth century a [[katholikon]] was built near the entrance to the monastery in the southern part of the monastery precinct and dedicated to St. George the Trophybearer. This [[church]] featured frescos painted by Antonius of the Cretan school. In the eighteenth century the monastery began to prosper again and a new katholikon was built. It was also restored between 1817 and 1837. This church remains the largest katholikon on the Holy Mount. This building was located in the northern part of the monastery precinct.
  
Within the monastery precincts there are eight [[chapel]]s. Two of these are associated with the old katholikon where the chapels of St. Demetrios and and St. Lazaros are within the katholikon. The other six, St. John the Theologian, St. Euphemia, Ss Cosmos and Damian, Dormition of of the Virgin, the Presentation of the Virgin and St. Stephen, are outside it. There are also six chapels outside the precincts of the monastery. Additionally, the [[skete]]s of the Annunciation and Xenophontos belong to the monastery.
+
Within the monastery precincts there are eight [[chapel]]s. Two of these are associated with the old katholikon where the chapels of St. Demetrios and St. Lazaros are within the katholikon. The other six, St. [[John the Theologian]], St. Euphemia, Ss. [[Cosmas and Damian|Cosmos and Damian]], the [[Dormition]] of of the [[Theotokos|Virgin]], the [[Presentation of the Theotokos|Presentation of the Virgin]], and St. [[Stephen]], are outside it. There are also six chapels outside the precincts of the monastery. Additionally, the [[skete]] of the Annunciation or Xenophontos belong to the monastery.
  
 
The library of Xenophontos contains over 4,000 printed books and some 300 manuscripts.
 
The library of Xenophontos contains over 4,000 printed books and some 300 manuscripts.
  
==External link==
+
==External links==
*[http://inathos.gr/athos/en/   Mount Athos]
+
*[http://inathos.gr/athos/en/ Mount Athos]
 +
*[http://www.inathos.gr/athos/en/athos.asp?m=04000&c=19921 Xenophontos Monastery] 
 +
*[http://www.kolovostravel.com/halkidiki/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=176%3Axenofondos-monastery-east-coast-of-mount-athos&catid=132%3Amonasteries&Itemid=133&lang=bg  "XENOFONDOS" MONASTERY - West coast of Mount Athos]
  
[[Category: Monasteries]]
+
 
[[Category: Greek Monasteries]]
+
[[Category:Athonite Monasteries]]
 +
[[Category:Greek Monasteries]]
 +
[[Category:Monasteries]]
 +
 
 +
[[el:Ιερά Μονή Ξενοφώντος]]
 +
[[fr:Monastère de Xenofontos]]

Latest revision as of 13:16, October 12, 2011

Xenophontos Monastery
Holy Monastery of Xenophontos
Rank or attached monastery Sixteenth
Type of community Cenobitic Monastery
Founded 998
Superior Archim. Alexios
Approx. size 30-35 monks
Location Southwest (near St. Panteleimon's)
Liturgical language(s) Greek
Music used Byzantine chant
Feastdays celebrated St. George

The Xenophontos Monastery (Greek Ξενοφώντος) is one of the twenty monasteries located on the peninsula of Mount Athos in northeastern Greece. The monastery is on southwestern side of the peninsula near St. Panteleimon's Monastery. Xenophontos ranks sixteenth in the hierarchical order on Mount Athos. The monastery is dedicated to St. George the Trophybearer, celebrating the monastery feast day on April 23.

First mention of the founding of a monastery was in 998, while the monk Xenophon is credited with building the monastery that bears his name in 1010. After the fall of Constantinople, Xenophontos began a period of hard times as the monastery was alternatively destroyed by pirates and rebuilt. Each time rulers from eastern Europe would fund rebuilding efforts. Such attacks continued until the eighteenth century.

In the sixteenth century a katholikon was built near the entrance to the monastery in the southern part of the monastery precinct and dedicated to St. George the Trophybearer. This church featured frescos painted by Antonius of the Cretan school. In the eighteenth century the monastery began to prosper again and a new katholikon was built. It was also restored between 1817 and 1837. This church remains the largest katholikon on the Holy Mount. This building was located in the northern part of the monastery precinct.

Within the monastery precincts there are eight chapels. Two of these are associated with the old katholikon where the chapels of St. Demetrios and St. Lazaros are within the katholikon. The other six, St. John the Theologian, St. Euphemia, Ss. Cosmos and Damian, the Dormition of of the Virgin, the Presentation of the Virgin, and St. Stephen, are outside it. There are also six chapels outside the precincts of the monastery. Additionally, the skete of the Annunciation or Xenophontos belong to the monastery.

The library of Xenophontos contains over 4,000 printed books and some 300 manuscripts.

External links

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox
In other languages