Whitby Abbey

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
m
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[Image:Whitby_Abbey.jpg|right|thumb|300px|The ruins of Whitby Abbey]]
 
[[Image:Whitby_Abbey.jpg|right|thumb|300px|The ruins of Whitby Abbey]]
'''Whitby Abbey''' is a ruined [[monastery]] sited on [[Whitby]]'s East Cliff in northern England.  It was founded in 657 AD by St. [[Hilda of Whitby|Hilda]]. The double monastery of monks and nuns was also home home to the great Saxon poet St. [[Caedmon]].
+
'''Whitby Abbey''' is a ruined [[monastery]] sited on Whitby's East Cliff in northern England.  It was founded in 657 AD by St. [[Hilda of Whitby|Hilda]]. The double monastery of monks and nuns was also home home to the great Saxon poet St. [[Caedmon]].
  
 
In 644, the abbey was the site of the [[Synod of Whitby]], at which the Northumbrian Celtic church was reconciled to [[Church of Rome|Rome]].  In 867, the abbey fell to Viking attack, and was abandoned until 1078, when it was re-founded by Reinferd.  The second monastery lasted until it was destroyed by Henry VIII in 1540.  The abbey buildings fell into ruins and were mined for stone, but remained a prominent landmark for sailors.
 
In 644, the abbey was the site of the [[Synod of Whitby]], at which the Northumbrian Celtic church was reconciled to [[Church of Rome|Rome]].  In 867, the abbey fell to Viking attack, and was abandoned until 1078, when it was re-founded by Reinferd.  The second monastery lasted until it was destroyed by Henry VIII in 1540.  The abbey buildings fell into ruins and were mined for stone, but remained a prominent landmark for sailors.

Revision as of 13:39, January 11, 2005

The ruins of Whitby Abbey

Whitby Abbey is a ruined monastery sited on Whitby's East Cliff in northern England. It was founded in 657 AD by St. Hilda. The double monastery of monks and nuns was also home home to the great Saxon poet St. Caedmon.

In 644, the abbey was the site of the Synod of Whitby, at which the Northumbrian Celtic church was reconciled to Rome. In 867, the abbey fell to Viking attack, and was abandoned until 1078, when it was re-founded by Reinferd. The second monastery lasted until it was destroyed by Henry VIII in 1540. The abbey buildings fell into ruins and were mined for stone, but remained a prominent landmark for sailors.

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox