Vladimir Nikolaievich Lossky was an influential theologian of the Russian emigration. He was born in 1903, then exiled from Russia in 1922. He moved to Paris two years later and remained there until his death in 1958. He served as the first dean of the St. Denys Institute in Paris, where he also taught dogmatic theology. Lossky is remembered best for his book, The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church.
Vladimir was born on May 26, 1903, to the family of Nicolas Onufriyevich Lossky, who was a philosopher and professor in the University of St. Petersburg. After Vladimir begun his studies at the University of St. Petersburg, however, Nicolas was expelled from Russia with his entire family in November 1922. Vladimir was forced to continue his studies in Prague, Czechoslovakia, and then at the Sorbone in Paris, where his family stayed. His interests lay in Greek Patristics and in Western medieval philosophy.
He became the first dean of St. Denys Theological Institute, Paris, where he taught Dogmatic Theology from 1944 to 1953. He continued his teaching in the frame of the pastoral courses organized by the Exarchate of Moscow Patriarchate in Paris. He remained here until his sudden death on February 7, 1958, at the age of 54.
Vladimir Lossky is best remembered for his book The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church, the first patristic synthesis of theology of dogma and is widely recognised within the Orthodox Church.
- The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church SVS Press, 1997. (ISBN 0913836311) James Clarke & Co Ltd, 1991. (ISBN 0227679199)
- Orthodox Theology: An Introduction SVS Press, 2001. (ISBN 0913836435)
- In the Image and Likeness of God SVS Press, 1997. (ISBN 0913836133)
- The Vision of God SVS Press, 1997. (ISBN 0913836192)
- The Meaning of Icons, with Leonid Ouspensky SVS Press, 1999. (ISBN 0913836990)
- Sept jours sur les routes de France: Juin 1940 Cerf, 1998. (ISBN 2204060410)
- Theologie Negative et Connaissance de Dieu Chez Maitre Eckhart 1960. Vrin, 2002. (ISBN 2711605078)
- Théologie dogmatique Cerf, 2012 (ISBN 2204093408)
- "Theology and Mysticism in the Tradition of the Eastern Church" from The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church, pp. 7-22.
- Obituary by Protopresbyter Alexander Schmemann St. Vladimir's Seminary Quarterly, Vol. 2 - New Series, No, 2, Spring 1958, pp 47-48
- Free PDFs of some of Lossky's writings