User talk:John Bockman
Welcome to OrthodoxWiki!
Thank you for your contributions. I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Please note that OrthodoxWiki is always in development, so not everything works quite right yet. You can help, though!
OrthodoxWiki is a community-edited encyclopedia of Orthodox Christianity. Articles are created and edited by our members, and so everything that we do here is subject to review and revision. The result is a true consensus product, with every interested editor contributing his own knowledge and writing skills. As such, when you feel that criticism of an article is warranted, we encourage you to join in and fix it! Don't worry about breaking anything or doing something wrong—the other editors here are happy to jump in and help you learn.
|For newcomers||For editors||Important notes|
| About OrthodoxWiki
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
| Help files
How to edit a page
How to create a new page
How to write a great article
| PLEASE read carefully the section of the Style Manual titled OrthodoxWiki:Style Manual (Point of View). |
Also please note that other editors will assume that you have read the Style Manual (our official editing guidelines). If you're wondering why an edit was reverted, an article renamed, or any other unexpected changes were made by another editor, check there.
Please also take a few moments to edit your user page by clicking on your name here, so that we can know a bit about you: User:John Bockman. Feel free also to add your picture to the OrthodoxWiki:User gallery.
If you are uploading images, be sure you're doing so legally and according to OrthodoxWiki policy. Failure to abide by policy may result in your images getting deleted without warning.
If you would like to experiment with the wiki, please feel free to do so in the Sandbox.
By the way, you can sign your name on Talk and other discussion pages using three tildes, like this: ~~~. Four tildes (~~~~) produces your name and the current date. Please sign your comments on Talk pages, so everyone will easily be able to see who left them.
You'll have to verify your email address before editing any pages. This helps us prevent spam. Don't worry, your email won't be viewable to anyone but the sysops. We respect your privacy.
We hope you enjoy editing here and being a part of our community!
Gabriela 22:26, August 30, 2006 (CDT)
Deletion of Gen. 6:1-4
Thanks for your recent contribution. I wanted to explain why I deleted it. First, the article you wrote included a copyright tag at the end attributing it to "John Johnson" and reserving all rights. If you are not "John Johnson" then you cannot reproduce his copyrighted work on OrthodoxWiki without his explicit permission.
In any event, all material submitted to OrthodoxWiki is by default made available under the GFDL and Creative Commons (Attribution-ShareAlike). This means that it can be used, edited, copied, etc.—in short, not all rights are reserved. For more information on this, please see the Copyright policy page. If material is released to the Wiki under other restrictions a suitable copyright template should be attached.
You may also want to take a look at this page for a good primer on what a great OrthodoxWiki article will look like.
- John, I noticed your conversation with DcnDavid on his talk page. I know that he hasn't had a chance to respond yet and so I apologize for butting in. I'm not sure why he deleted your article (I noticed it recently and based on the length I figured it took you a long time). We all appreciate your contributions here. Please consider staying on and contributing more. As you probably know, much of the information we post here is subject to change and editing, I know that can be frustrating. Joe 2006-09-03
- A recent conversation with Fr John has yielded the information that a copyright-ed article can be placed on OW. This is currently a temporary measure - these articles will be moved to OrthodoxSource (dedicated to primary source material, and material with hosting permission given - such as your Genesis article) when that site is fully launched. As such, this article has been reinstated, with a transfer template placed on it.
- I will ask, however, that you change the copyright information ASAP - it is best that I do not, particularly since it is your article; but it does need to be changed so that you have copyright (rather than a fictitious John Johnson). — edited by Pιsτévο talk complaints at 01:48, September 3, 2006 (CDT)
- John, I'm sorry for the miscue on your article. It appeared to me that it had been cut and pasted wholesale; I wasn't familiar enough with our own copyright policies to note that "John Johnson" was the name on the form. Please forgive me. The beauty of the Wiki is that nothing is really ever lost. All edits (even overzealous deletions) can be undone.
- I agree with Pistevo that this your article is more appropriate for OrthodoxSource than OW.
- I hope you'll stay and continue to contribute to OW.