Father, would it be okay to get rid of some of these? For instance, the AndStuff wiki is personal and closed. For many of these, it's doubtful that we would ever link them, let alone in quantities enough to justify having an interwiki link (LinuxWiki, for example). On the other hand, it may be easier to keep them than weed them out. Additionally, some of the interwiki links do not link to wikis, like those related to Google. Your thoughts? —magda (talk) 13:06, November 21, 2005 (CST)
Father, That license for the favicon was for the favicon that I created. If you read the log, I think HappyGrievling replaced it with a favicon of his version. He just didn't change the license.
Fr., the first one is link-button size, but the second is more banner-sized, and rather illegible when reduced to the size of the first. Still want the second? You're welcome to both, of course. —magda (talk) 12:08, November 25, 2005 (CST)
- Category:Skete Images - For images used by permission from Skete.com - See Special:Whatlinkshere/Template:Skete.com
I have noticed that Special:Whatlinkshere/Template:Skete.com does not include all of the images which actually use the template (cf. Image:Dionysius the Areopagite.jpg). Also, how do you make the category page show up as a gallery? —magda (talk) 12:56, November 26, 2005 (CST)
They're probably actually more in the line of "fair use" than public domain, something like what you find here or here, i.e., that the image was produced for mass distribution. —Fr. Andrew talk contribs (THINK!) 14:13, November 26, 2005 (CST)
Fr. I noticed that Dcn. Damick, Magda, and yourself are doing some serious work with images. I would jump in and help, but don't know where to start. Do you use Firefox for your browser? If so, have you looked at the ChatZilla IRC Client I wrote about. I think this would help everyone talk about what everyone else is doing at the moment and might help speed things along. This is the last time I will mention it for a while. I am currently logged into the #orthodoxwiki channel at irc.freenode.net using the default user name. Joe 18:09 EST 26 Nov 2005
Father John, I'll give it a try. Wsk 17:33, November 26, 2005 (CST)
Please import all appropriate images from a whole category at one time and then register the category on Wikimedia Commons that they were imported from here. — I don't think I understand this sentence. Would you please clarify? —magda (talk) 22:06, November 26, 2005 (CST)
Okay, so what images do you want in this category? Each and every icon? Just want to make sure before going ahead. My plan is to go through Special:Imagelist tomorrow (or later today, in my time zone) and make sure they're in the lists by subject. —magda (talk) 23:17, November 26, 2005 (CST)
- More specifically, do you want to add [[Category:Icons]] even to the images which are already in, say, Category:Skete Images? The Skete Images category itself is in Category:Icons, but the individual images do not show up in the Category:Icons gallery. —magda (talk) 14:30, November 27, 2005 (CST)
How about images which are included in a permission category, but not a topical category—Image:Alaska.png, Image:Alexandria logo.gif—would you want them to be in the ironic "Uncategorized Images" category? —magda (talk) 16:08, November 27, 2005 (CST)
- Any idea what to do about the two almost-identical Atalla Hanna pictures? I would prefer to delete the second, but am not sure how. —magda (talk) 16:20, November 27, 2005 (CST)
- Atallah Hanna.jpg
- That's part of what has me confused, but there is a separate listing for each on Special:Imagelist (500, by name), and when clicking on the filename, those are kept in different directories, so it's not the exact same file:  and . —magda (talk) 18:20, November 27, 2005 (CST)
More image stuff
Category:OrthodoxWiki Images— It seems that some of these, such as Image:Logo wikikto en.jpg, would be better off in the Logos category. I don't see them as OrthodoxWiki logos or even system images. If you think they should remain in this category, perhaps you could add a clarifyer on the category page?
MediaWiki:Uploadtext— Should we add something like: "If you have obtained this image from the internet, please include the URL in the summary." ? (Or perhaps: "If you have obtained this image from the internet, please include the URL in the summary, unless the source is evident from the image license.")
Re: Copyright trouble
- Hello Father, I edit/create new entries on both sites (Wikipedia and OrthodoxWiki - see, for example,  and  and compare to OrthodoxWiki), so it's the same person in most cases, though I use different usernames in Wikipedia and usually even edit without loging in at all, i.e., a different IP address will appear at different times (my IP is not static). I started editing in Wikipedia before moving to OrthodoxWiki. In Christ, --Arbible 17:31, November 28, 2005 (CST)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nectarios (I created/edited this one too using username Kyrillos2 (to upload the image) and IP address 126.96.36.199)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraam_Bishop_of_Fayoum (I created/edited this one also using username Kyrillos2 (to upload the image) and IP addresses 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206)
- and many, many more...
- A general problem with wikis is the lack of explicit authorship/editorship information, and of mechanisms to ensure this is clearly present in every article. (For quality benchmarking purposes an IP or nickname cannot qualify as proper authorship/editorship information.) This is a crucial quality criterion that we teach to our students - please refer to the following presentation of mine: http://healthcybermap.org/MNKB_Quality.PDF
- In Christ, --Arbible 18:10, November 28, 2005 (CST)
- That's a nice presentation, Arbible, very clear. One clarification, though. The article in question is Cyril VI (Atta) of Alexandria (cf. wikipedia:Pope Cyril VI of Alexandria). Fr. John
- The WHOIS info of the above domains can be easily checked.
- The following resource might also be of interest, especially the sections on self-plagiarism and on proper/improper paraphrasing: http://facpub.stjohns.edu/~roigm/plagiarism/
- I need to go now - I will be in Thailand for the coming few days, God willing, to deliver an invited keynote speech at a conference http://www.j-geoinfo.net/HealthGIS/FISH_prog.htm , so won't be available to reply/edit. Please keep me in your prayers. In Christ, --Arbible 19:36, November 28, 2005 (CST)
Thanks for the links, but can you be more explicit about what you are saying they demonstrate? Thanks, Fr. John
- Even when one is simply importing (to a different wiki)/reusing their own articles that nobody else has edited this can still sometimes be considered self-plagiarism by academic standards (also depending on the specific details of a particular import and how you approach/judge the whole matter). OPEN wiki "encyclopedias" are not academically rigorous and were never intended to be so. Nicknames are not any better than IP addresses (in this respect). One can never compare Wikipedia to Britannica, for example - see , . Please forgive me Father; you should never describe yourself as "slow sometimes". Thanks for the prayerful wishes. In Christ, --Arbible 20:30, November 28, 2005 (CST)
Food for thought:
- I have also written a bit on the wiki concept in this recent editorial of mine: http://www.ij-healthgeographics.com/content/4/1/22 (see under 'Discussion > The wikification of GIS, maps and satellite imagery/aerial photography: imaging and geospatial information for the wide masses')
Did I ever mention that one day last year a woman showed up at my church - she had been Muslim by was converted by a miracle that she a her sister both witnessed together -- it was a manifestation of Pope St. Kyrillos? It was a beautiful story. Fr. John
I've been using the off-line OrthodoxWiki known as the seminary for the article. I am taking a course in Orthodox Christian Ethics this semester and when we were told to come up with a project for the semester... There were three of us, writing three articles each, so hopefully, before the end of the year, there will be eight more articles for that section of OrthodoxWiki. Virgil
- Actually, yes. Among the options for projects was "creating ethics-related web-pages," with the provision that we would have to show they are useful for more than just getting a grade. Naturally, I suggested OrthodoxWiki. Thankfully, it was accepted. Virgil
address of st catherine- mt siani
dearest father - would you happen to know the address to the monastery of st catherine ( mt. saini)? I would like to send a prayer request for 40 days litergy . ( seven days a week for 40 days)I was looking for information who was the heiromonk and where to send a offering.- thank- you! with love in christ- athena
- This was actually a longer search than I expected, Father. I'm still working on going to the library to finish copying out the list of names for this request. Sorry for the editing conflict. Thanks for the tip on the favicon. And what do you mean you don't know everything? :) —magda (talk) 10:14, November 30, 2005 (CST)
Fr. If you are talking about using the Google API I think that would be great. Joe 30 Nov 2005
- Ok, ok. Just give me a little time! Fr. John
- Fr. The first extension you listed looked a little more user friendly. Joe
The main difficulty with having Category:Clergy include individuals is that it would thus necessarily encompass nearly every person whose bio we have on the wiki, thus rendering it nearly useless. —Fr. Andrew talk contribs (THINK!) 17:33, November 30, 2005 (CST)
- I'm honestly not sure. Obviously, we don't want uncategorized articles, but I'm also not sure how to supply categories for some of these folks. —Fr. Andrew talk contribs (THINK!) 17:47, November 30, 2005 (CST)
Come Receive the Light
Fr. Is that your wife on the receive.org website/broadcast? Joe 4 Dec 2005
Japanese Church Images
Fr. John, I like the categories setting up all the images on file. I suggest adding the image of Metr. Sergius to the Japanese category. I couldn't how you linked the image to the Japanese image category, so that's why I'm sending this!! The file is: Image:Met_Sergius%28port%29.jpg. ````
The other states are not usually one-large-metropolitan-area and everybody-else. In Texas, most things (as far as I know) are grouped by metropolitan area. For instance, someone looking for a church in Dallas may find that the closest church to his location-in-Dallas is actually in, say, Irving. Since he wouldn't be going to Irving itself, he probably wouldn't look for churches there. I would love to see a google map interface with these pages somehow.
photo of Lossky
I took the photo from a conference page of the Moscow Patriarchate. http://e.korsoun.free.fr/fr/annonces/conference_20050628.htm
There was no copyright notice on the page.
Your welcome. Even despite our differences I do wish the best for all people of faith. I do ask if at possible, that I be given access to my user talk page again. I think I understand why you locked it but I think we can agree to disagree without needing to make it a large issue. --Patriarchanthony 21:31, December 11, 2005 (CST)
- Thanks! --Patriarchanthony 22:04, December 11, 2005 (CST)
Reverted pages they vandalized. Best I can do. --Patriarchanthony 21:06, December 12, 2005 (CST)
Greetings. I'm a student of Orthodox Seminary in Poland and I'm searching books and materials about hisotry of Orthodoxy in America, becouse I want to wrie my bechelor work about this. Maybe You can help for me?
Hey, thanks for the encouragement. I'll be sure to work on a better article. - Ari 23:26, January 2, 2006 (CST)
Thanks for the extra points of view and thanks for reading some of my site. I did some research on the Great Schism of 1054 for a major project but I could not find enough information on it from first hand historians and most of what I did find was written by the west so it showed bias. I'm will try and work some of your suggestions into the site. --Ari 00:03, January 3, 2006 (CST)
I did what I could to revert the perverse edits of a few spammers. I can't delete the pics but I assume a revert of them does the same thing? Not sure. But again, I did what I could. Edit this because problem resolved with sysop. :) --Patriarchanthony 01:12, January 8, 2006 (CST)
Re: Copyright Concern?
Hi We have permission to use this articles.
Thank you very much for responding. I have to apologies, but this system is absolutely new to me. The way its working is little different that just ordinary website, also, tags is different too, so I will ask for your patients and forgiveness for any mistakes I could make in future. I guess it’s going to take some time to learn. If you could advice how this information should be putted we will be much appreciated, and if you think it should be deleted, than do so. About the copyright issue you don’t’ have to worry about this, because I am the owner and administrator of the blago.org server Thank you in advance.