Tolgsk icon of the Mother of God

From OrthodoxWiki
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: The '''Tolgsk''' Icon of the '''Most Holy Mother of God''' (Толгской иконы Божией Матери) appeared 1314 to the Rostov Sainted-hierarch Prokhor (schema-name Tryphon...)
 
m (punctuation)
 
(3 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The '''Tolgsk''' Icon of the '''Most Holy Mother of God''' (Толгской иконы Божией Матери) appeared 1314 to the Rostov Sainted-hierarch Prokhor (schema-name Tryphon) and is celebrated [[August 8]].
+
The '''Tolgsk''' Icon of the '''Most Holy Mother of God''' (Толгской иконы Божией Матери), also known as '''Our Lady of Tolgsk''', is a wonder-working [[icon]] of the Holy [[Theotokos]] that appeared to the Bishop of Rostov Prochorus (Tryphon in schema) on August 8, 1314. St. Prochorus later built the Monastery of the Presentation of Mary at Tolga near the site where the icon appeared. The Tolgsk Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos is commemorated on [[August 8]] and [[July 18]].
  
==Description==
+
==History==
Going about his diocese, the saint visited the Belozersk environs and set off from there and set off thither nigh along the banks of the Rivers Sheksna and Volga, to Yaroslavl'. Having stopped with the approach of night 7 versts distant from Yaroslavl', at the right bank of the Volga River there flows opposite into it the River Tolga. At midnight, when everyone was asleep, the saint awoke and saw a bright light illuminating the surroundings. The light proceeded from a fiery column on the other bank of the river, to which there stretched a bridge. Taking up his staff, the saint went across to the other bank, and having approached the fiery column, he beheld on it the icon of the MostHoly Mother of God, suspended in the air. Astonished at the miracle, the saint prayed for a long time, and when he returned back, he forgot to take his staff.
+
While touring his [[diocese]], Bp. Prochorus had visited the environs of White Lake. On returning, he and his companions traveled along the banks of the Rivers Sheksna and Volga to Yaroslavl and stopped, with the approach of night, seven versts from Yaroslavl at the right bank of the Volga River where it flows into the River Tolga.  
The next day, after making matins, when Saint Prokhor was preparing to continue his journey by boat, they began to search for his staff, but they were not able to find it anywhere. The saint then remembered, that he had forgotten his staff on the other bank of the river, whither he had gone across on the miraculous bridge. He then told about what had occurred, and sending servants across on a boat to the other shore, they came back and reported the news, that in the forest amidst the trees they had seen an icon of the Mother of God, next to his bishop's staff. The saint quickly crossed over with all his retinue to the opposite shore, and he recognised the icon that had appeared to him. Then after fervent prayer in front of the icon, they cleared the forest at that place, and put down the foundations of a church. When the people of Yaroslavl' learned of this, they came out to the indicated spot. By midday the church was already built, and in the evening the saint consecrated it in honour of the Entrance ("Vvedenie") into the Temple of the MostHoly Mother of God, and having installed the icon there he established a feastday on the day of its appearance. Saint Prokhor later built near this church the Tolgsk monastery.  
+
  
Sainted Prokhor died on [[September 7]] 1328.
+
At midnight, when everyone was asleep, Bp. Prochorus awoke and saw a bright light illuminating the area. The light came from a fiery column on the opposite bank of the river. Taking up his staff, he crossed on a bridge to the other bank. As he approached the fiery column, Bp. Prochorus beheld on the column the icon of the Most Holy Theotokos, suspended in the air. Astonished at the miracle, Bp. Prochorus prayed for a long time before returning to the camp. In doing so he forgot to take his staff.
  
{{cleanup}}
+
The next day, after serving [[Matins]], when Bp. Prochorus was preparing to continue his journey by boat, his companions began to search for his staff, but were not able to find it anywhere. Vladyka then remembered that he had forgotten his staff on the other side of the river, where he had gone across on the miraculous bridge. He then revealed what had happened and sent his servants across on a boat to the other shore. When they returned, they reported that in the forest they had seen an icon of the Mother of God suspended in the branches of a tree, next to his [[bishop]]'s staff.
 +
 
 +
Then, Bp. Prochorus with all his retinue quickly crossed over to the opposite shore. There, he recognized the icon that had appeared to him during the night. After fervent prayer before the icon, they cleared the forest at that place, and laid the foundations of a [[church]]. When the people of Yaroslavl learned of this activity, they came out to the place of the miraculous appearance. By midday, the church was built, and in the evening Bp. Prochorus [[consecration of a church|consecrated]] it in honor of the Entrance into the Temple of the Most Holy Theotokos and installed the icon. Bp. Prochorus then established a Feast on the day of its appearance. St. Prochorus later built the Tolga [[monastery]] near this church.
 +
 
 +
==Sources==
 +
*[http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsLife.asp?FSID=102052 OCA:  Icon of the Mother of God of Tolga]
 +
*[http://www.antiochian.org/node/19293  Icon of the Mother of God of Tolga]
 +
*[http://molonlabe70.blogspot.com/2010/07/icon-of-mother-of-god-of-tolga.html  Icon of the mother of God of Tolga]
  
 
[[Category:Icons]]
 
[[Category:Icons]]
 +
[[Category:Icons of the Theotokos]]

Latest revision as of 17:01, October 16, 2011

The Tolgsk Icon of the Most Holy Mother of God (Толгской иконы Божией Матери), also known as Our Lady of Tolgsk, is a wonder-working icon of the Holy Theotokos that appeared to the Bishop of Rostov Prochorus (Tryphon in schema) on August 8, 1314. St. Prochorus later built the Monastery of the Presentation of Mary at Tolga near the site where the icon appeared. The Tolgsk Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos is commemorated on August 8 and July 18.

History

While touring his diocese, Bp. Prochorus had visited the environs of White Lake. On returning, he and his companions traveled along the banks of the Rivers Sheksna and Volga to Yaroslavl and stopped, with the approach of night, seven versts from Yaroslavl at the right bank of the Volga River where it flows into the River Tolga.

At midnight, when everyone was asleep, Bp. Prochorus awoke and saw a bright light illuminating the area. The light came from a fiery column on the opposite bank of the river. Taking up his staff, he crossed on a bridge to the other bank. As he approached the fiery column, Bp. Prochorus beheld on the column the icon of the Most Holy Theotokos, suspended in the air. Astonished at the miracle, Bp. Prochorus prayed for a long time before returning to the camp. In doing so he forgot to take his staff.

The next day, after serving Matins, when Bp. Prochorus was preparing to continue his journey by boat, his companions began to search for his staff, but were not able to find it anywhere. Vladyka then remembered that he had forgotten his staff on the other side of the river, where he had gone across on the miraculous bridge. He then revealed what had happened and sent his servants across on a boat to the other shore. When they returned, they reported that in the forest they had seen an icon of the Mother of God suspended in the branches of a tree, next to his bishop's staff.

Then, Bp. Prochorus with all his retinue quickly crossed over to the opposite shore. There, he recognized the icon that had appeared to him during the night. After fervent prayer before the icon, they cleared the forest at that place, and laid the foundations of a church. When the people of Yaroslavl learned of this activity, they came out to the place of the miraculous appearance. By midday, the church was built, and in the evening Bp. Prochorus consecrated it in honor of the Entrance into the Temple of the Most Holy Theotokos and installed the icon. Bp. Prochorus then established a Feast on the day of its appearance. St. Prochorus later built the Tolga monastery near this church.

Sources

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox