Timeline of Saints
Revision as of 07:40, May 27, 2009 by Maraamu
The purpose of this article is to complete a chronological list of ALL the relevant Ecclesiastical dates relating to the "deaths" of her Orthodox Saints
Pre New Testament
- The dormition of the mother of the Theotokos, the Righteous Anna, July 25 
- 6BC April 17, Christ is born in Bethlehem; Apostle Paul born in Tarsus.
- 4BC Herod the Great dies.
First century (0-100)
- New Testament Era
- c.25-26 Death of Joseph the Betrothed
- c.27 Baptism of Christ
- c.28 Beheading of John the Baptist.
- c.30 First death of Lazarus
- c.30 Death and Resurrection of Lord Jesus Christ the Son of God.
- c.30-33 Stoning of Stephen, the protomartyr.
- Apostolic Era (33-100)
- 34 Death of Philip, tetrach of Iturea.
- c.45-55 The Dormition  of the Theotokos, the Mother of Christ, August 15.
- 44 Agrippa I beheads James (son of Zebedee and brother of John), Agrippa I is eaten by worms and dies.
- 50 Death of Gamaliel, teacher of the Apostle Paul (Acts 22:3)
- 54 Claudius dies, probably poisoned.
- c.60-62 Apostle Andrew traditionally thought to have been martyred in Achaia at Patras by cruxifixion.
- c.60-63 Second death of Lazarus, Bishop of Kittium.
- c.61 Apostle Barnabas, founder of the Church of Cyprus, traditionally thought to have been martyred in Salamis.
- 62 Porcius Festus dies.; Apostle James, the brother of the Lord, first bishop of Jerusalem, put to death by Sanhedrin during short interval between Porcius FEstus and Albinus.
- 66 Martyrdom of Photine of Samaria, Anatole, Photo, Photis, Paraskeve, Kyriake, Photinos and Joses and the Duke Sebastianos, under Emperor Nero.
- c.65-67 Martyrdom of Apostles Peter;
- c.67 Paul beheaded in Rome.
- c.90-96 (2nd) Persection of Christians under Emperor Domitian.
- 96 Martyrdom of Dionysius the Areopagite of the Seventy.
- 100 Death of St. John the Theologian in Ephesus.
Second Century (101-200)
- c.106-107 Symeon, bishop of Jerusalem, martyred at age 120.
- 107 Ignatius, bishop of Antioch, martyred in Rome (or c. 115).
- 108-124 (3rd) Persection of Christians under Emperor Trajan and continuing under Emperor Hadrian.
- c.120 Martyrdom of Eleutherios and his mother Anthia.
- c.130 Death of Apostle Quadratus, of the Seventy; Papias, bishop of Heriopolis and apostolic father.
- 138 Telephorus, bishop of Rome, the only 2nd-century pope who's martyrdom is historically verifiable.
- 155 Polycarp, bishop of Smyrna, martyred by being burned to death in the arena in Smyrna.
- 160 Marcian, heretic, dies.
- 165 Valentium, Gnostic heretic, dies; Justin Martyr and disciples denounced as Christian, scourged and beheaded for refusing to sacrifice; Peregrinus Proteus becomes Christian and leader of a synagogue, then takes up the life of a Cynic. He ends his life by burning himself on a pyre at the Olympiad of 165 in Athens.
- 177-180 (4th) Persecutions of Christians under Emperor Marcus Aurelius (161-180).
- 177 Pothinus, bishop of Lyons, Blandina, Ponticus at others martyr in Lyons dying in the "odor of sanctity".
- 180 Dyfan of Merthyr first martyr in British Isles, May 14; The Scillitan Martyrs, twelve Christians executed in N.Africa for refusing to renounce their faith, July 17; Marcus Aurelius dies of plague.
- 190 Melito, bishop of Sardis, dies.
- c.200-202 Irenaeus of Lyons dies, possibly martyrdom.
Third Century (201-300)
- 202 Death of Great Martyr Haralampus, Bishop of Magnesia.
- 202-210 (5th) Persecution of Christians under Emperor Septimius Severus (193-211)
- 203 Perpetua and Felicitas, martyred in Carthage, North Africa March 7.
- c.209 Martyrdom of Alban in Britain.
- c.215 Clement of Alexandria dies; Narcissus, bishop of Jerusalem, dies.
- 222 Bardaisan of Edessa dies.
- 225 Death of Tertullian
- 235-238 (6th) Persecution of Christians under Emperor Maximinus Thrax.
- 236 Death of Hippolytus of Rome in exile from Rome.
- 249-251 (7th) Persecution of Christians under Emperor Decius.
- c.250 Fabian, Bishop of Rome, arrested and dies as martyr probably from treatment in prison; Babylas, bishop of Antioch, dies in prison during persecutions of Decius; Alexander, bishop of Jerusalem dies in prison during persecution of Decius; Matrydom of Christopher of Lycia; Martyrdom of Cyprian and Justina at Nicomedia.
- c.251 Martyric death of Isidore of Chios and Myrope of Chios, under the persecutions of Decius, December 2.
- 254 Origen dies in Tyre from consequences of imprisonment during Decian persecutions.
- 257-260 (8th) Persecution of Christians under Emperor Valerian (253-260).
- 257 Stephen, bishop of Rome, dies, perhaps martyred; Novatian martyred during persecution under Valerian.
- 258 Xystus II, bishop of Rome, martyred; Cyprian of Carthage martyred, September 14.
- 265 Dionysius, bishop of Alexandria dies.
- 268 Gallienus murdered.
- 270 Plotinus dies; Claudius II dies of plague; Gregory Thaumaturgus, founder of the Church in Cappadocia dies.
- 275 Aurelian murdered.
- 276 Tacitus murdered.
- 281 Probus murdered.
- 284 Martyrdom of Cosmas and Damian, Andrew Stratelates and 2,593 soldiers with him in Cilicia.
- 286 Martyrs Timothy and Mavra.
- 290 Anastasia the Deliverer from Potions martyred in Sirmium, December 22.
Fourth Century (301-400)
- 302 20,000 Martyrs burned at Nicomedia.
- 303 (10th) Persecution of Christians under Diocletian, identified as the Great Persecution (303-311);
- 303 Martyrdom of George the Trophy-bearer at Nicomedia and Great-Martyr Panteleimon.
- 304 Marcellinus, bishop of Rome, dies during persecution; Death of Anysia of Thessaloniki, December 30.
- 305 Death of Barbara of Heliopolis, December 4
- 306 Cyril, bishop of Antioch, dies at mines; Death of Demetrios in Thessaloniki; Bp. Parthenios of Lampsacus.
- 309 Martyrdom of Shmona, Gurya of Edessa.
- 310 (11th) Persecution of Christians under Persian King Shapur II (310-379).
- 310 Habbib of Edessa martyred.
- 311 Peter I, bishop of Alexandria, martyred.
- 312 Lucian of Antioch dies in Nicomedia from torments suffered during persecution, January 7.
- 313 Maximian dies in Tarsus, ca. August.
- 314 ca. death of Tiridates, king of Armenia (or as late as 330).
- 316 ca. death of Diocletian; Death of Blaise of Sebaste.
- 319 Matyrdom of Theodore Stratelates ("the General"), under Licinius.
- 320 ca, The Forty Martyrs of Sebaste in Armenia.
- 326 or 327, Papa, bishop of Nisibis dies.
- 329 Irene of Thessaloniki dies, May 5; Helena, mother of Constantine dies, May 21.
- 332 Gregory the Illuminator of Armenia dies.
- 335 Sylvester I, bishop of Rome dies, December 31.
- 336 Arius dies, perhaps poisoned just before he is to be restored to office of presbyter in Alexandria
- 337 Constantine dies shortly after baptism at Pascha, May 21.
- 340 ca,Eusebius of Caesarea, Church historian, dies; ca. Paul of Thebes, traditionally considered the first hermit, dies.
- 344 Martyrdom of Simeon bar-Sabba'e.
- 345 Death of Nicholas of Myra; ca, Aphrat "the Persian" dies.
- 346 ca, Pachomius the Great dies of plague; Barbashmin, catholicos, Seleucia-Ctesiphon martyred.
- 348 Death of Spyridon of Trimythous.
- 355 Death of Nino of Cappadocia.
- 356 Death of Anthony the Great.
- 373 Death of Athanasius the Great and Ephrem the Syrian.
- 379 Death of Basil the Great.
- 385 Death of Gregory of Nyssa.
- 386 Death of Cyril of Jerusalem.
- 391 Death of Gregory the Theologian.
- 392 Death of Macarius the Great.
- 397 Death of Martin of Tours and Ambrose of Milan.
- ca. 398 Martyrdom of 10,000 Fathers of the Scetis by Patriarch Theophilus of Alexandria.
Fifth century (401-500)
- 404 Martyrdom of Telemachus.
- 407 Death of John Chrysostom in exile.
- 429 Death of Sisoes the Great.
- 432 Death of Ninian, Apostle to the Picts.
- 435 Death of John Cassian and Acacius of Melitene.
- 440 Death of Alexios the Man of God, March 17.
- 444 Death of Cyril of Alexandria.
- 450 Death of Peter Chrysologus.
- 459 Death of Symeon the Stylite.
- 461 Death of Leo the Great and Patrick of Ireland.
- c.463 Death of Patapius of Thebes.
- 466 Death of Shenouda the Great (Coptic).
- 473 Death of Euthymius the Great.
Sixth centuy (501-600)
- 529 Death of Theodosius the Great.
- 532 Death of Sabbas the Sanctified.
- 556 Death of Roman the Melodist.
- 579 400 Martyrs slain by Lombards in Sicily.
- 582 Death of Eutychius of Constantinople, April 6.
- 597 Death of Columba of Iona.
Seventh century (601-700)
- 604 Death of Gregory the Dialogist.
- 605 Death of Augustine of Canterbury.
- 614 65,000 Christians in Jerusalem massacred.
- 615 Death of Columbanus in Italy.
- 633 Death of Modestus of Jerusalem.
- 655 Martyrdom of Martin the Confessor.
- 662 Death of Maximus the Confessor.
- 685 Death of Anastasius of Sinai.
- 687 Death of Cuthbert of Lindisfarne.
- ca. 700 Death of Isaac of Syria.
Eighth century (701-800)
- 707 Death of John Maron.
- 712 Death of Andrew of Crete.
- 735 Death of Bede.
- 739 Death of Willibrord.
- 749 Death of John of Damascus.
- 752 Death of Zacharias of Rome.
- 754 Death of Boniface, June 5.
Nineth century (801-900)
- 826 Death of Theodore the Studite.
- 828 Death of Patr. Nicephorus I of Constantinople.
- 867 Death of Kassiani, Greek-Byzantine poet and hymnographer, who composed the Hymn of Kassiani, chanted during Holy Week on Holy Wednesday.
- 870 Death of Rastislav of Moravia; martyrdom of Edmund, King of East Anglia.
- 877 Death of Ignatius I of Constantinople.
- 885 Death of Methodius.
- 899 Death of Alfred the Great.
Tenth century (901-1000)
- c.925 Death of Peter of Argos
- 935 Martyrdom of Wenceslaus, prince of the Czechs.
- 969 Death of Olga of Kiev.
- 978 Death of King Edward the Martyr.
- 992 Death of Michael, first Metropolitan of Kiev.
Eleventh century (1001-1100)
- 1015 Death of Vladimir of Kiev.
- 1022 Death of Simeon the New Theologian.
- 1074 Death of Theodosius of the Kiev Caves.
- Unknown dates:
Twelfth century (1101-1200)
Thirteenth century (1201-1300)
- c.1268(+) Death of Theodora of Arta, March 11.
- 1282 Zographou martyrs burn alive on Mount Athos, October 10.
Fourteenth century (1301-1400)
- 1359 Death of Gregory Palamas, Archbishop of Thessalonika, November 14.
- 1378 Death of Alexis of Moscow
- c.1391 Death of Nicholas Cabasilas, June 20.
Fifteenth century (1401-1500)
- ca. 1426 Ephraim of Nea Makri, May 5.
- 1450 Death of Ipomoni of Loutraki, Augusta Helen Palaiologos, March 13.
- 1462 Death of Matrona of Chios, October 20.
- 1463 Martyrdom of Raphael, Nicholas and Irene, Bright Tuesday.
Sixteenth century (1501-1600)
- 1552 Death of Basil the Blessed.
- ca. 1570/79. Death of Gerasimos of Cephalonia, August 15.
- 1589 Death of Philothei of Athens, February 19.
Seventeenth century (1601-1700)
Eighteenth century (1701-1800)
- 1712 Death of Fr. Maxim Leontiev.
- 1730 Death of John the Russian, May 27.
- 1731 Death of Innocent of Irkutsk.
- 1779 Death of Kosmas Aitolos.
- 1794 Death of Paisius Velichkovsky of Moldova and Mt. Athos.
- 1796 Martyrdom of hieromartyr Juvenaly of Alaska, protomartyr of America, July 2.
Nineteenth century (1801-1900)
- 1805 Death of Makarios of Corinth, a central figure in the Kollyvades movement.
- 1809 Death of Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain, July 14.
- 1816 Martyrdom of Peter the Aleut near San Francisco.
- 1821 Death of Nikephoros of Chios, May 1; Martyrdom of Patr. Gregory V of Constantinople, Abp. Kyprianos of Cyprus and Abp. Gerasimos of Crete.
- 1833 Death of Seraphim of Sarov.
- 1837 Death of Herman of Alaska, Spruce Island, December 13.
- 1860 Death of Alexei Khomiakov.
- 1864 Death of Jacob Netsvetov, July 26.
- 1868 Death of three saints nick anmed "Papoulakos": Joachim of Vatopaidi, March 2; Monk Christophoros (Panagiotopoulos).
- 1877 Death of Arsenios of Paros, January 31.
- 1879 Death of Innocent of Alaska, Equal-to-the-Apostles, March 31.
- 1891 Death of Ambrose of Optina.
Twentieth century (1901-2000)
- Main article: Timeline of Twentieth century saints
- 1900 Martyrdom of Orthodox Christians in Chinese Boxer Rebellion (Yihetuan Movement).
- 1905 Death of Parthenios Koudouma Monastery, July 10; Apostolos Makrakis.
- 1907 Death of Ilia the Righteous, July 20
- 1908 Death of John of Kronstadt.
- 1909 Death of Alexis of Wilkes-Barre, May 7.
- 1912 Death of Nicholas of Japan.
- 1914 Death of Maxim Sandovich, August 6
- 1915 Death of Raphael of Brooklyn.
- 1917-40 Persecution of the Orthodox Church in Russia begins, with 130,000 priests arrested, 95,000 of whom were executed by firing squad.
- 1917 Martyrdom of hieromartyr John Kochurov
- 1918 Tsar Nicholas II of Russia murdered together with his wife Alexandra and children; Elizabeth the New Martyr, July 18; St. Vladimir; January 25; St. Theophanes, Decembre 11;
- 1919-1922 Greco-Turkish War; Pontic Greek Genocide eliminates the Christian population of Trebizond.
- 1920 Death of Nektarios of Aegina; Evmenios of Koudouma Monastery, July 10
- 1922 Death of Metr. Bejamin (Kazansky) of Petrograd and Gdovsk, July 31.
- 1924 Death of Arsenios the Cappadocian, November 10
- 1925 Death of Tikhon of Moscow; St. Jonah of Manchuria, Bishop of Hankou (1922-1925);
- 1932 Death of Papa-Nicholas (Planas) of Athens;
- 1936-37 Many Russian Orthodox Clerics die in Joseph Stalin's Great Purge.
- 1937 Disappearance of Fr. Alexander Hotovitzky, martyred.
- 1938 Death of Silouan the Athonite;
- 1941 Martyrdom of Gorazd (Pavlik) of Prague by Nazis; Platon of Banja Luka, May 5; Petar (Zimonjić) of Dabar-Bosna,
- 1941-45 Croatian Ustasa terrorists kill 500,000 Orthodox Serbs, expel 250,000 and force 250,000 to convert to Catholicism.
- 1942 Death of Joanikije (Lipovac) of Montenegro, July 20
- 1943-44 Hundreds of Orthodox priests of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church eliminated, tortured and drowned by Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists - Ukrainian Rebel Army, aided by Uniate Metr. Josyf Slipyj who was a spiritual leader of Nazi military units that were later condemned by the Nuremberg tribunal, and who was imprisoned by Soviet authorities for aiding the UPA.
- 1945-90 Persecution of the Orthodox Church in Albania.
- 1945 Death of Arseny (Chagovtsov) of Winnipeg, October 4.
- 1947 Death of Alexei Kabalyiuk.
- 1948 Death of Savvas the New of Kalymnos.
- 1949 Death of Seraphim of Viritsa, March 21.
- 1956 Death of Nikolai Velimirovic, March 18.
- 1957 Death of John (Maisuradze) of Georgia, January 21
- 1959 Death of George (Karslidis) of Drama, November 4.
- 1960 Death of Anthimos of Chios February 15; John (Iacob) the Romanian (the Hozevite),August 5; George-John (Mkheidze) of Georgia, January 21
- 1964 Death of Varnava Nastic, November 12.
- 1966 Death of John (Maximovitch) the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Shanghai and San Fransisco, July 2.
- 1970 Death of Archpriest Stefan Wu Zhiquan ., the new martyr.
- 1975 Death of Papa-Dimitris (Gagastathis).
- 1979 Death of matushka Olga Michael, November 8; Justin Popovich; Archimandrite Philoumenos, November 16;
- 1980 Death of Elder Philotheos (Zervakos) of Paros.
- 1982 Death of Seraphim Rose
- 1983 Death of Elder Arsenios the cave-dweller of Mt. Athos.
- 1991 Death of Elder Porphyrios (Bairaktaris) the Kapsokalivite; (Evangelos (Bairaktaris)), February 7.
- 1992 Deaths of Gabrielia (Papayannis) and Chrysanthi of Andros.
- 1993 Canonization of Chrysostomos (Kalafatis) of Smyrna.
- 1994 Death of Elder Paisios (Eznepidis) of Mt. Athos, July 12.
- 1995 Death of Eldress Macrina of Volos; Gerasimos (Papadopoulos) of Abydos, June 12.
- 1998 Death of Elder Ephraim of Katounakia.
- 2000 Death of Fr. Grigory Zhu, September.
Twentyfirst century (2001-Present)
- 2001 Death of Elder Haralambos Dionysiatis, teacher of noetic prayer.
- 2004 In September, a helicopter carrying Patr. Petros VII (Papapetrou) of Alexandria along with 16 others (including 3 other bishops of the Church of Alexandria) crashed into the Aegean Sea while en route to the monastic community of Mount Athos with no survivors.
- 2007 Death of Protopresbyter Elias Wen.
- 2008 Death of Abp. Christodoulos (Paraskevaides) of Athens.
- ↑ St. Ioachim lived for 80 years and Anna for 79. They lived for around seven years after Mary was dedicated, making the holy Theotokos around 10 when they reposed.
- ↑ At the time of her death tradition states she was in her early fifties.
- ↑ http://www.orthodox.cn/localchurch/harbin/stefanwu_en.htm