Theotokos of Tikhvin
The Theotokos of Tikhvin (Tikhvinskaya) is one of the most celebrated and beautiful wonderworking icons of the Mother of God (Theotokos). Traditionally, it is said to be one of the icons written by St. Luke the Evangelist. The appearance of the icon is celebrated on June 26.
The icon has a long history. During the Soviet oppression of the Russian Orthodox Church, the icon was brought to the United States for safekeeping. In 2004, it was transferred back to Russia to return to its home village of Tikhvin.
Troparion (Tone 4)
- Today, like the eternal sun,
- Your Icon appears in the sky, O Theotokos.
- With rays of mercy it enlightens the world.
- This land accepts the heavenly gift from above,
- Honoring You as the Mother of God.
- We praise Christ our Lord who was born of You.
- Pray to Him, O Queen and sovereign virgin
- That all Christian cities and lands be guarded in safety,
- And that He save those who kneel to His divine, and Your holy image, O unwedded bride.
Kontakion (Tone 8)
- O people, let us come to the Virgin Queen and Mother, giving thanks to Christ God.
- Let us fall before her miraculous image, and let us cry:
- O sovereign Mary, your glorious image now inhabits this land.
- Save all the Christians of this world, showing us the heavenly life.
- To You we faithfully cry: Rejoice, O Virgin, the salvation of the world!