Revision as of 00:00, June 19, 2009 by Ixthis888
Second Century (101-200) the sub-Apostolic Age
More commonly referred to as the "sub-Apostolic age", begins and ends with the second century.
- 105 Plutarch, bishop of Byzantium (Constantinople)
- 107 c, Symeon the Zealot (Luke 6:15 and Acts 1:13), 2nd bishop of Jerusalem, is crucified  at the age of 120, location disputed; c, Ignatius, 3rd bishop of Antioch, martyred in Rome (or c, 115).
- 108-124 (3rd) Persection of Christians under Emperor Trajan and continuing under Emperor Hadrian.
- c.120 Martyrdom of Eleutherios, Bp. of Illyria, and his mother Anthia, December 15.
- c.130 Death of Apostle Quadratus, of the Seventy; Papias, bishop of Heriopolis and apostolic father.
- 138 Telephorus, bishop of Rome, the only 2nd-century pope who's martyrdom is historically verifiable.
- 155 Polycarp, bishop of Smyrna, martyred by being burned to death in the arena in Smyrna.citation needed
- 160 Marcian, heretic, dies.
- 165 Valentium, Gnostic heretic, dies; Justin Martyr and disciples denounced as Christian, scourged and beheaded for refusing to sacrifice; Peregrinus Proteus becomes Christian and leader of a synagogue, then takes up the life of a Cynic. He ends his life by burning himself on a pyre at the Olympiad of 165 in Athens.
- 177-180 (4th) Persecutions of Christians under Emperor Marcus Aurelius (161-180).
- 177 Pothinus, bishop of Lyons, Blandina, Ponticus at others martyr in Lyons dying in the "odor of sanctity".
- 180 Dyfan of Merthyr first martyr in British Isles, May 14; The twelve Scillitan Martyrs  executed in Scillium of North Africa the earliest documented martyrdom of the Church of Africa, July 17; Marcus Aurelius dies of plague.
- 190 Melito, bishop of Sardis, dies.
- c.200-202 Irenaeus of Lyons dies, possibly martyrdom.
This template displays the series box and includes the article in Category:Saints
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found