Revision as of 12:24, November 3, 2011 by Wsk
Second Century (101-200) the sub-Apostolic Age
More commonly referred to as the "sub-Apostolic age", begins and ends with the second century.
- 105 Plutarch, Bp. of Byzantium (Constantinople)
- 106 c, Thekla the Protomartyr, September 24.
- 107 Eudokia of Heliopolis, beheaded March 1; c, Symeon the Zealot (Luke 6:15 and Acts 1:13), 2nd Bp. of Jerusalem, at the age of 120 is crucified , location disputed April 27; c, Ignatius, 3rd Bp. of Antioch, martyred in Rome (or c, 115) december 20.
108-124 (3rd) Persection of Christians under Emperor Trajan and continuing under Emperor Hadrian.
- 112 c.-116 Zacchaeus, 4th Bp. of Jerusalem August 23.
- 114 Holy Martyr Justin the Philosopher born at Sychem.
- 120 c.Martyrdom of Eleutherios, Bp. of Illyria, and his mother Anthia, December 15.
- 121 c. Lydia the Martyr, with her husband Philetus and sons Macedonius and Theoprepius, March 23.
- 130 c. Death of Apostle Quadratus, of the Seventy September 21; Papias, Bp. of Heriopolis and apostolic father.
- 135 Romans build temple of Aphrodite over the site of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.
- 138 Telephorus, Bp. of Rome, the only 2nd-century pope who's martyrdom is historically verifiable.
- 150 "Shepherd of Hermas" written.
- 155 Polycarp, Bp. of Smyrna, martyred by being burned to death in the arena in Smyrna.citation needed; First Apology by Justin the Philosopher.
- 160 Marcian, heretic, dies.
- 161 Second Apology by Justin the Philosopher.
- 165 Valentium, Gnostic heretic, dies; Justin Martyr and disciples denounced as Christian, scourged and beheaded for refusing to sacrifice; Peregrinus Proteus becomes Christian and leader of a synagogue, then takes up the life of a Cynic. He ends his life by burning himself on a pyre at the Olympiad of 165 in Athens.; Leucius the Confessor, 1st Bishop of Brindisi ordained.
- 166 The Holy Martyrs Justin the Philosopher, Chariton, Euelpistos, Ierax, Peonus, Valerian, Justus and the Martyress Charita, beheaded June 1.
- 167 Abercius of Hieropolis, wonderworker and Equal to the Apostles November 4
- 170 c, Hieromartyr Constantius, Bp. of Perugia, January 29.
- 180 Leucius the Confessor, 1st Bp. of Brindisi, June 20.
177-180 (4th) Persecutions of Christians under Emperor Marcus Aurelius (161-180)
- 177 Pothinus, Bp. of Lyons, Blandina, Ponticus at others martyr in Lyons dying in the "odor of sanctity".
- "Against Heresies" written by Irenaeus of Lyons.
- 189 Demetrius, Bp. of Alexandria.
- 190 Melito, Bp. of Sardis dies.
- 193 Dionysius of Vienne, 6th Bp. of Vienne, France, d. May 8.
- 200 c.-202 Irenaeus of Lyons dies, possibly martyrdom.
This template displays the series box and includes the article in Category:Saints
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found