Revision as of 19:34, August 9, 2011 by Ixthis888
Second Century (101-200) the sub-Apostolic Age
More commonly referred to as the "sub-Apostolic age", begins and ends with the second century.
- 105 Plutarch, Bp. of Byzantium (Constantinople)
- 106 c, Thekla the Protomartyr, September 24.
- 107 Eudokia of Heliopolis, beheaded March 1; c, Symeon the Zealot (Luke 6:15 and Acts 1:13), 2nd Bp. of Jerusalem, is crucified  at the age of 120, location disputed April 27; c, Ignatius, 3rd Bp. of Antioch, martyred in Rome (or c, 115) december 20.
- 108-124 (3rd) Persection of Christians under Emperor Trajan and continuing under Emperor Hadrian.
- 112 c.-116 Zacchaeus, fourth Bp. of Jerusalem August 23.
- 120 c.Martyrdom of Eleutherios, Bp. of Illyria, and his mother Anthia, December 15.
- 130 c. Death of Apostle Quadratus, of the Seventy; Papias, Bp. of Heriopolis and apostolic father.
- 138 Telephorus, Bp. of Rome, the only 2nd-century pope who's martyrdom is historically verifiable.
- 155 Polycarp, Bp. of Smyrna, martyred by being burned to death in the arena in Smyrna.citation needed
- 160 Marcian, heretic, dies.
- 165 Valentium, Gnostic heretic, dies; Justin Martyr and disciples denounced as Christian, scourged and beheaded for refusing to sacrifice; Peregrinus Proteus becomes Christian and leader of a synagogue, then takes up the life of a Cynic. He ends his life by burning himself on a pyre at the Olympiad of 165 in Athens.
- 167 Abercius of Hieropolis, wonderworker and Equal to the Apostles November 4
- 177-180 (4th) Persecutions of Christians under Emperor Marcus Aurelius (161-180).
- 177 Pothinus, Bp. of Lyons, Blandina, Ponticus at others martyr in Lyons dying in the "odor of sanctity".
- 180 Dyfan of Merthyr first martyr in British Isles, May 14; The twelve Scillitan Martyrs  executed in Scillium of North Africa the earliest documented martyrdom of the Church of Africa, July 17; Marcus Aurelius dies of plague.
- 190 Melito, Bp. of Sardis dies.
- 200 c.-202 Irenaeus of Lyons dies, possibly martyrdom.
This template displays the series box and includes the article in Category:Saints
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found